Hi all-

We're taking the annual family Cape week next week and my kids & grandmother in law want to do a little fishing down there.

Any decent spots near Orleans with public shore access, where we could drown a few worms, feed some sunfish, and maybe grab a bass or two?

Thanks!

-G[/img]

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Nickerson State Park is near Orleans (it may actually be in Orleans.) Cliff Pond is there as well as some other bodies. There is plenty of parking and shore access. The fishing is pretty good, plenty of sunnys

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:14 am

The only thing i managed to catch down in Nickerson were trout. and by "I" I mean my fiancee. I didn't catch a damn thing the whole weekend. "Little Clift" is supposed to have all the Bass though

Oh, and Nickerson is in Brewster. One town over from Orleans.

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks guys -- looks like we'll be headed for Little Cliff Pond. The family is psyched.

The DFW says that the other ponds in Nickerson are pretty much trout-only, with a few smallies and fairly barren sand bottoms. Hope we can find a Larry or two in Little Cliff -- and even if not, it'll be fun trying!

-G

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:01 pm

any updates? How'd you guys do at "little cliff pond"?

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:05 am

hersey617

The only thing i managed to catch down in Nickerson were trout. and by "I" I mean my fiancee. I didn't catch a damn thing the whole weekend. "Little Clift" is supposed to have all the Bass though

Your fiancee is like the Trout queen. How about sending some tips my way?

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:12 am

Well, we hit Little Cliff yesterday and had fun despite the lack of decent fish. My kid caught a handful of pumpkinseeds and bluegills, my father-in-law caught a small yellow perch, and I managed to get wet swimming after my buzzjet that somehow snagged a Lilly pad (who cast it over there anyway?).

If you don't really want to wade, shoreline access is pretty marginal, with only a couple of spots that are open enough to cast from. The bottom is very sandy, and the water is very clear, but since we saw sunnies, perch, and pickerel, I'm assuming that there are largemouth in there-- though we (nor any of the 5-6 other anglers we saw) didn't get any. In fact, the only LMB we saw was a good-sized floater at Cliff Pond.

We may go back... or may try our luck elsewhere. Either way, a boat really would have helped!

-G

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:20 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links