Newfound Lake in NH. This is the link to the depth map.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/bathy_maps/newfound_bristol.pdf

It is very clear and very deep. I will have a kayak or canoe. How do I fish this kind of water? (Avg depth 74 ft, max depth, 182ft)

Species include Rainbow, Lake and Brown Bullhead Trout, Landlocked Salmon, Smallmouth Bass and Chain Pickerel.

So, to summarize: deep, cold, and species I am unfamiliar with. (I usually fish for LMB)

Thoughts?

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:25 pm

smallmouth bass act much like largemouth this time of year. They are on their spawn beds in the shallows. Find some shallow rocky water and make sure to have some nice polarized sunglasses. If you see a bed, cast just past it and bring your bait through it. Even if you don't see a bas sitting on it, its around protecting it and will thrash anything.

for the trout and salmon, fish drop offs with live shiners if you can, they like things that will fill their bellies.

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Pretty sure bass spawn is over, even up there, once the bass are done with the nests, the bluegills move in and use them. I read that if you fish near the bluegill nests near cover, there are sometimes big bass waiting to ambush them, so don't count them out. You could probably sight fish for smallies or try some Kastmasters or Krocodiles for trout...let them flutter down to the bottom and then rip them up.

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 pm

yup, spawns over up there.

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:14 pm

I was thinking 1/4 oz gold Kastmaster on a 2-4 lb test flouro leader. Drop it all the way down and kind of jig it up. Will that work?

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:38 pm

I agree with the rocky areas. I did well there on a trip years ago with a Vibrafox inline spinner. I am sure other lures will work just as well. The lake is big water. On the southern end is Mayhew Island. I fished the eastern shore of the island and did well casting to and over the rocks. It is big and can get rough quickly. Obviously early and late are good bets. That spot is easily accessible by canoe/kayak and can offer some shelter.

I also flyfished the Newfound River at the southwestern end off west shore rd. I have good luck there with trout.

Good luck,

Charlie

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Some people I've talked to have suggested trolling a streamer, even if it's on a spinning rig. Would that work?

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:26 am

try a joe's flies spoon. They make spoons that have a streamer attachment. they are deadly on large bows and salmon too. try both a steady retrieve and also using as a jigging spoon pulling it off the bottom and letting it fall back. the only problem with the joe's flies spoons is that im not sure if they make any that are heavy enough for using in a deep lake like that. not sure if they make any 1/2 ounce or even 3/8 ounce spoons but i havent seen em yet. oh well, just a suggestion.....good luck.

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:44 pm

I would fish it in the 20-60 foot depth bands paying attention to any sort of structure or cover that you can see. You may also consider using a fishfinder to locate the fish in this lake as it is very big and very deep.

Do they allow trolling motors in this lake? Do you have a trolling motor? This is definitely a place where trolling would be the recommended tactic for targeting these fish.

As for lures...I would go with large spoons in the 5/8th oz size, Flatfish type lures might be productive too. Deep diving minnow baits are also worth considering.

Also talk to the locals to see which areas are best. Keep in mind that deep lakes like this often have low oxygen at deeper depths so you have to find the thermocline where the fish congregate.

If you see fish feeding on the surface your best bet maybe fly fishing for them. I would suggest a dropper rig with a dry fly with a trailing nymph or streamer pattern.

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 pm

bcodkind

Newfound Lake in NH. This is the link to the depth map.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/bathy_maps/newfound_bristol.pdf

It is very clear and very deep. I will have a kayak or canoe. How do I fish this kind of water? (Avg depth 74 ft, max depth, 182ft)

Species include Rainbow, Lake and Brown Bullhead Trout, Landlocked Salmon, Smallmouth Bass and Chain Pickerel.

So, to summarize: deep, cold, and species I am unfamiliar with. (I usually fish for LMB)

Thoughts?

Deep water....how about a drop shot rig? Or heavy wacky jig / shaky head?

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:34 am

Reason I mentioned the beds, was I had been on walden pond that day (monday) and still saw plenty of bedding bass. wasn't as many as the previous week, but they were there.

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links