Hey guys,

I know there are a few Kayak fishermen on here, and I am looking for some info. I am thinking about buying a fishing kayak, but don't want to if I will end up not using it, like so many of the other things i buy..lol. I already have a cartopper, well it's a 9 ft. BPS pond prowler, with a 55 lb thrust trolling motor. I love the boat, it's comfortable as hell and stable as anything. The only issue i really have with it is that sometimes, when I am fishing by myself, it's a bit labor intensive to put in and out of the water. Especially when it is some little backwater spot where I can't get the truck right up to the water.

So I was thinking a kayak would be perfect for those days/ponds when I just don't feel like wrestling the puddle paddler. My only issue is I have only fished out of a kayak once, and it was not a "fishing kayak". It was more of a cruising kayak that I used for fishing. When I have looked into kayaks I was blown away by the variety of sizes and models that are available. Sit in / sit on. wide and short / narrow and long. The list goes on and on.

I guess I am just looking for reviews from anyone who has fished from a kayak made for fishing. How they handle the wind, whether they are comfortable for long days of fishing? Those kinds of things.

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I fully expect to buy the bass boat of my dreams at some point, but that probably won't be for a few years, so till then I am just experimenting new ways to invade larry's territory!!

Good luck with the fishing guys and thanks again for the help!!

Greg

Posted Sat May 07, 2011 2:43 pm

I just picked up a Hobie Oasis a couple weeks ago and I have gone out 6 times so far. It has been great! I have a bad left side due to plates screws etc. in my shoulder, collarbone and ribs so I was really worried about how easy it would be to transport by myself but it has been pretty easy. Mine is a tandem and I go half the time with my five year old. What I like about it is how stable it is in fresh and salt water. I plan on using it mainly for salt once the water warms up and for places like Joppa flats the yak is great.

I can stand in mine, although I don't stand often. It's very comfortable for sitting a few hours at a time and since mine is a peddle one with rod holders etc. it's great for trolling and moving while you fish. It's so quiet I find myself catching more fish than surrounding boats.

You can park far from the launch area and as long as you put the heavy stuff near the middle of the yak it is so balanced on the wheels that you can easily pull it down paths, dirt roads etc. to launch it.

In the wind you do get blown if you don't anchor it. I also go to Martins a lot and if I am not paying attention I get blown into the brush at times. You can easily attach an anchor though and it's easy to peddle or paddle away from the brush. sometimes I purposely land it against the brush to fish and then just paddle away when I want to. At Martins for instance you can get into all the little inlets and fish the calm water and then just paddle your way out backwards.

If you have any questions let me know or if you are at Martins in N Reading you can look for me. It's bright yellow and I have a silver xterra.

Posted Sun May 08, 2011 7:07 pm

I've had the LL Bean fishing model for a few years and have had pretty good luck with it. I don't think there is any difference between this model and the regular ones as far as the hull goes, mine has rod holders and an anchor and stuff...but that's the only real difference. You will definitely get blown around in the wind, but the little dinky anchor is actually pretty decent. Once you get out a few times, you'll figure out how to handle it in different situations, and now I don't really have a problem with anything.

It has a nice wide opening where the seat is, so I can stretch my legs a bit more. I've fished for a few hours at a time, sitting any position for awhile will eventually get uncomfortable, so I'll take a stretch break here and there. It's pretty light, around 45 pounds I think so it's easy to get on and off cars and down to the water.

You can take it anywhere in the lake that you could possibly want to go to. You will be sitting low in the water though, which makes it hard to look into spots to see whats going on down there. It's also a little more difficult for certain retrieves, like twitching the rod tip down - walk the dog kinda thing.

good luck

Posted Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it.

Posted Mon May 09, 2011 6:32 pm

I have a sit on top Wildnerness Systems 10' kayak. Its perfect for fresh water and calm interior bays or rivers. If you're going to ocean fish, you def. would want something longer. The longer, the better it tracks.
I personally don't love kayak fishing, its a bit difficult at times as you are essentially sitting on the water fishing, and it can wear out your back quick. So imagine sitting down on the shore and fishing. You are also limited in what gear you can bring along. I also have come to realize 7' length rods is my absolute max. in a kayak, and 6'6'' are preferable. Some presentations are just tough to pull off as Volume said. But it is also good in a lot of ways as you mentioned, easier access, and you can fish areas where boats can't. If its windy out, it gets really tough. I think if you have a cartop already, a kayak would be a perfect compliment to that depending on where or how you plan on fishing. For me, it gets me off the bank until I get a boat at some point.

Posted Thu May 26, 2011 3:27 pm

The Trophy (green) at Dicks with 2 rod holders is a nice LOOKING unit but the seat sucks real bad.

You are better off with a Swifty - you can sit in that thing ALL DAY - snag a rod holder off Amazon for like $10 and pop it in yourself. BAM fishing rig and quite a nice one too at $35.

You could shoulder a Swifty a couple hundred yards WHILE carrying gear in the other hand no problem.

Good luck!

Also - paddles on Amazon too - save $50.

Steve

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:59 am

I have a Wilderness Systems 12ft Pungo. I wasn't really thinking about fishing when I bought it otherwise I would have went in a different direction.

That being said, I bough these on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MMZ6DW

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ALB4S

The seat on the pungo is very comfortable and with the Rod Holders installed it makes for a nice fishing yak.

My only gripe is that I can't stand while fishing which I much prefer. As stated earlier it allows for better viewing angles and presentations.

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:59 pm

I just bought a cheapo kayak at Job Lot for $179 with the online coupon. I mounted a rod holder, and there ya go, fishing kayak.

Its perfect for ponds and calm rivers like the Charles in Metro West.

Since I've started kayaking instead of shore fishing, it's been non-stop bass/crappie catching.

I definitely wouldn't take that rig anywhere with rapids or any real current, but it's great for calm water.

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:34 am

My 9 year old and I use this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dragonfly-Sport-Fisher-Kayak-with-Backrests-and-Paddles/10910813 for the last year. Good fun, very stable, caught almost all our fish from this. It is also shaped to go well in surf. I put it in the back of my wife's Sienna! It almost touches the steering wheel but is easier than doing all the lifting. I do recommend it but I'm a bit sick of spending more time paddling than fishing, so just bought a small fishing boat and a trolling motor - maybe now I'll cast as many times as my kid!

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links