I cannot find laws on night fishing fresh water for ma.are there any special laws on this???

Have been out before but only to try..with no problems..

Last night went to go out...had a guy screaming at me that i cannot fish at night..

was a public boat ramp..no signs..10:00 pm.
tryed to talk to him asking why..all he would do is yell srceam and holler..
got on ma. fishing regs. I see nothing ..Am I Missing Something????? Sad

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 am

The only places I know that there is no night fishing Is Quabbin and Wachusett. The best Bass fishing and Catfishing happens at night. I would of told him to pound sand and called the police for harrasment. The only regs that would apply are for a boat and that it has a bow and stern light.

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:04 am

thats all i see...can find nothing else....was putting in a canoe..my girl and i....

guy was screaming he was going to call the ranger...spencer p.d.

Appeared to be drunk and not being reasonable...
so we went out anyway. stayed close to the boat ramp waiting for ranger or police...
but no one showed up...figured as much..kind of but a damper on our night..just not being sure..so we only stayed an hour.

if im missing something hope someone tells me.
thanks for the response.

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:29 am

Same type of stuff used to happen to my buddy on Spy Pond in Arlington. He would wade the shoreline and the neighbors would yell and scream and call the cops. When the cops would come down and tell them that's he's within his rights as long as he doesn't step on their property they'd get pissed. This happened many o times.

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:53 am

Yea, I know of no law that says you can't, unless there is some sort of local ordinance saying otherwise.

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:58 am

unless there is an ordinance, I wouldn't worry to much.

That guy yelling at you should be worried about being fined for harassing a person lawfully fishing.

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:23 pm

It depends who the land belongs too or who runs it. Is it DCR property ? I will use ponds local to me for example. Spot pond Medford/Stoneham is DCR controlled. It is part of the middlesex fells and it falls under park rules. Hours are dawn to dusk. Horn pond woburn is city land and you can fish all night. Its lake to lake specific

I could tell you guys a story of a guy grabbing a 12 gauge at 2 AM, Thinking Roger ( Pocketfisherman) and I were making noise near the water. Granted the noise was 1/2 sticks of dynamite blowing up metal trash barrels. It was not us, but he thought it was. It got hairy. lol

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:46 pm

i go a lot of times at nite cause u wont have all the other traffic
on the water

good lights on the boat is a must

never had a problem - even when it said not after dark parking or park closes at dusk most popos aked if i catched anything and how it was - but yes all the freaks come out at nite and luckily i never had to deal with some drunk f*** with a 12 gauge - but i keep my big combat knife visible on my leg just in case i meet one

i mean if you fly down with the 200 hp and have the engine scream be sure some old lady will tell popo on you but most of the time the have better stuff to do

sometimes they shine their search beam over the lake when they see a trailer but just to make sure u don't float belly up and a short response as a double blink from your light will tell them ur ok

But dont under estimate being on a big lake at nite alone - can be fkn dangerous - i always have emergency gear w/m like a beacon/first aid and wear my lifevest even when i do not at day

if you hit a tree and go in the water its hardcore - cause u have no sun lite to orient yourself - u need to be a good swimmer or you will die/ get seriously harmed - that should never be underestimated

also if your engine dies on you - nobody there to tow you
but the best fishing imho is at nite after 1 am

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:32 am

We put a canoe in....Browning pond in Spencer...Another guy stopped to shore fish.

Both had head lamps on...with red for night so it doesn't vision...

boy scouts own most of the land on that pond.....but no signs with rules....
if there where special rules i would think they would post them at the boat ramp....

Thanks for the response

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 pm

[quote=I could tell you guys a story of a guy grabbing a 12 gauge at 2 AM, Thinking Roger ( Pocketfisherman) and I were making noise near the water. Granted the noise was 1/2 sticks of dynamite blowing up metal trash barrels. It was not us, but he thought it was. It got hairy. lol[/quote]

Yeah it did!

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links