With all the dropoffs at Spot, has anybody thrown a drop-shot rig into the deeper areas? Has it worked?

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:20 pm

i haven't fished there but i would think it would be a little tough from the shore if you're casting far out there. i sometimes drop shot and let it slowly drag in but it's best as a vertical presentation as you can really control the action, make sure the lure looks as natural as possible, and sits right in the strike zone. the weight gets hung up easily as well depending on the bottom, especially if you can only pull the set up in 1 direction.

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

bcodkind

With all the dropoffs at Spot, has anybody thrown a drop-shot rig into the deeper areas? Has it worked?

Yes I did...and lost it to the head-sized irregularly shaped rocks. Snagged my weight.

If you are going to drop shot...which I think would work great under the right conditions...pick a weight appropriately.

Lost a jig too...bummed.

Posted Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:42 am

i've drop shotted there with limited success. kind of have to know the bottom of where you're fishing as a previous poster noted there are a lot of rocks in some areas. the one cove by the parking lot is pretty decent. it's actually less rocky than you'd think on the bottom closer to the middle. i've usually ended up with juvenile smallies though. nothing big.

Posted Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:37 am

goldpinhunter

i've drop shotted there with limited success. kind of have to know the bottom of where you're fishing as a previous poster noted there are a lot of rocks in some areas. the one cove by the parking lot is pretty decent. it's actually less rocky than you'd think on the bottom closer to the middle. i've usually ended up with juvenile smallies though. nothing big.

Good to know - I won't rush out for the materials.

Posted Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links