Hey, does anyone have any tips for fishing around this time with lipless and lipped crank hard baits? I have slowed my retrieve WAYYYYYYY down during this weather and I have actually caught something other than a pickerel. Any spots good like rocks or trees? How far away should I cast away from the shore?

Thanks....

Ralphy Shocked

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Lipless crankbaits are good anytime, anywhere, except in thick weeds if you ask me. One of the only baits that you can basically control 100%. If you want it to run shallow, reel in faster and keep your rod tip up. Deeper, slow roll it and let it sink when you cast out.

I've had good luck early season on crayfish colored lipless, and when I fish them I almost always swing the rod to the side, let the lure drop and reel in the slack, then give a crank or two and repeat. It gives it a fluttery motion, and I get a lot hits on the drop. Choosing colors is just like any other bait...match the hatch, and pay attention to water color - brighter colors in stained, natural in clear. I like chrome or gold with darker colored tops as the season goes on.

Good luck!

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:54 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links