Just wondering if anybody has ever seen any Snakeheads in Mass?
I saw an episode of RiverMonsters, and it showed that snakeheads have been caught in the state before, and they're spreading throughout New England.

Posted Sat May 15, 2010 9:50 pm

haha, I was watching that too. I haven't seen one, but I think it says on the Mass Wildlife site or the regulation book ( could have been NY, I have a license there this year also) that if you catch one, you're supposed to kill it. Things looked nasty...

Posted Sun May 16, 2010 5:22 pm

volume4130

haha, I was watching that too. I haven't seen one, but I think it says on the Mass Wildlife site or the regulation book ( could have been NY, I have a license there this year also) that if you catch one, you're supposed to kill it. Things looked nasty...

no wayy, my goal by the end of the summer is to catch one. im not one of those idiots who will throw it back in the water lol, but im one of those idiots that would want to keep it as a pet because they're so rare.

Posted Sun May 16, 2010 5:30 pm

thats hilarious cuz i saw that too....i will never swim in a lake again due to the SNAKEHEAD!!! things are vicious

Posted Sun May 16, 2010 8:05 pm

I saw that episode too - nasty buggers, eh? I've never even heard of em before seeing it. I sure don't think it would be good if they got a foothold here in our waters. Mad

Posted Tue May 18, 2010 8:00 pm

They use to be sold in pet stores!

Posted Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 pm

you know, I've just started learning about snakeheads and I've been doing some reading about them and I'm actually a littler nervous that they may have spread to my local pond, whitman's pond, in weymouth. For the past 2 summers I have been fishing here and during the spring and early summer I've seen two separate, very large fish, thrashing in the water. I've fished nearly 50 ponds and lakes in this state and I have never once seen a fish act the way these fish were. The only reason I suspect that they are snakeheads is because of the way they were viciously striking whatever fish it was they were attacking. Not sure if anyone of you have seen anything suspicious like this but I have a feeling a few more stories about snakeheads in MA will be popping up this coming season.

Posted Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:23 am

went i went peacock bass fishing in hawaii earlier this year they had a lot of snakeheads in their river as well. he said they would just fish for them near the bottom with a shiner on a steel lead and catch them all the time. sounds like an ice fishing setup!

can't say i've heard any reports of snakeheads in local waters but you really never know. i would definitely kill on sight but really at that point it may be too late.

Posted Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:23 am

I wouldn't mind catching a couple snakeheads. It would be something to see hanging on the wall.

Posted Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links