I started a new job in billerica and found barletts landing.
Strangest thing today at lunch I went down to check it out and there were fish actually jumping complete out of the water. I don't think they were bass but I only had a topwater on my rod and they never touched it. Anyone have any idea what they were?
they looked big, a couple of pounds maybe.

Bill

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Probably carp, they jump like crazy and get to be a good size. They make a big splash!

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:44 pm

LOTS of carp jumping in the river. The fish populations in the river are impressive.

Charlie

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 pm

I was on the Concord about a week and a 1/2 ago launching off of the 225 ramp on the Bedford/Carlisle line. We would hear a giant splash every once in awhile... but we would never actually see the fish. We were thinking it was a northern pike, but never actually saw one.

I guess it would make more sense that it is a carp. Do you think the reason they were jumping out was because they were trying to get somekind of food source??

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 pm

I don't think so because the water was very calm and I didn't see any bugs on the surface. I'm not faamiliar with carp at all.

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Blackstone carp is the guy to ask but I've heard carp jump to clean their gills after feeding in silt.

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Maybe they were putting on some show or something. Thinking they're dolphins

Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:18 pm

It could have been pike too. I've spent a decent amount of time at the Concord over the last couple weeks and have seen plenty of pike jumping out of the water. I also figured some topwater bait would do the trick but I haven't caught anything on topwater lures. (bug Hula Popper, Wounded Zara Spook, floating minnow... nada)

Question: Bartletts Landing, is that the area on the Concord where there is a small dam/waterfall?

Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:47 pm

No, it was CARP for sure!

Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:12 pm

budwick

Hahaha, fat, ugly, stinky ass dolphins...

Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:01 pm

volume4130

budwick

Hahaha, fat, ugly, stinky ass dolphins...

Awww you guys are so mean!

Heh, yeah carp jump for a variety of reasons. I've seen some carp come all the way out of the water, and let me tell you watching a 20+ pound fish, jump and the subsequent splash that follows is interesting. I've actually had to double take a few times while at very public places because I thought a small child just fell in, lol.

The reasons are varied and we probably will never understand. Supposedly, like Bam stated, they do so to clean debris and/or parasites like leeches out of their gill areas. It could also be water quality reasons that cause them to jump, much like fish in a home tank will jump from the tank onto the floor if the PH balances get screwed. In the spring you will see a lot of "jumping/swirling" at the edges for spawning...

Frankly though after watching them on the banks now, I swear they jump just to see what is going on. Like one jumps, looks about..goes back down and says,

"Hey guys, it is that fool with the rods again, dun eat the corn!"

Posted Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links