Nice day on the water with my Dad today. We launched from the 225 ramp and went upstream. We were both using spinnerbaits - he chartreuse and me white. I landed a decent pickerel but Dad landed the fish of the day... a nice pike. I took a pic of it with my cell phone, but it came out lousy. Just a quick report and thanks. I never fished spinnerbaits in the past and after reading so much about them here I committed to learning how to fish them.

Anyone else hit the river recently?

Charlie

Posted Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:33 pm

charliep

Nice day on the water with my Dad today. We launched from the 225 ramp and went upstream. We were both using spinnerbaits - he chartreuse and me white. I landed a decent pickerel but Dad landed the fish of the day... a nice pike. I took a pic of it with my cell phone, but it came out lousy. Just a quick report and thanks. I never fished spinnerbaits in the past and after reading so much about them here I committed to learning how to fish them.

Anyone else hit the river recently?

Charlie

Awesome! Pike... thats terrific! I hit the river for the first time a few weeks ago. I already told my little story about my trip in the jig thread, but long story short; We went fishing for pike, didn't catch any, but my brother landed 2 largemouth, the second was a lunker.
I have been planning to go back and after hearing your success about catching pike I will be going back that much quicker! Nice job on the pickeral too!

Posted Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Pike and pickerel are cold water fish, hence why a lot of people catch them through the ice, so I wouldn't be surprised if you started to have better luck once the weather starts cooling down. I think I've only caught 1 or 2 pickerel this summer, but in the spring, I couldn't keep them off my line.

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:14 am

I picked up a few more spinnerbaits today...for some reason, I decided to place my pliers on the skirt of a white spinnerbait instead of just the hook lol. I may be heading out Friday morning if the weather holds off.

Charlie

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links