Caught a bunch of dink largies the other night. Fun 3 hours.

Posted Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Nice, I haven't fished the Charles in years. Looks like it has some potential.
Where did you launch from? I'm thinking of making the trip there from Leominster.

Posted Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:27 am

All caught from shore, shore guy here, don't own a boat.

Posted Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:39 pm

rokibass

Nice, I haven't fished the Charles in years. Looks like it has some potential.
Where did you launch from? I'm thinking of making the trip there from Leominster.

you can launch from the Woerd Ave. boat launch in waltham. looks like sd2 was on that stretch. there are a lot of big bass in that area in a lot of go to spots for many people. it would be well worth the trip.

Posted Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:52 pm

I've never fished the Charles but am looking forward to trying it out very soon with my bro.
Glad you had a fun time sd2! What town/city were you fishing in? I was looking at the Charles on Google maps a few days ago and was very surprised how many towns the Charles goes through.

Posted Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:49 pm

towelie

I've never fished the Charles but am looking forward to trying it out very soon with my bro.
Glad you had a fun time sd2! What town/city were you fishing in? I was looking at the Charles on Google maps a few days ago and was very surprised how many towns the Charles goes through.

i don't want to completely burn his spot although it's a pretty big area if it's where i think it is but i've had a lot of success in the newton to watertown stretch where it widens. there is a lot of cover (sometimes too much) and tons of big bass and pickerel. the best way to describe the area is that it is from the marriott to the woerd ave. boat launch. apparently that's where the northerns are at too. i know people also do well down in the needham area too.

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 am

samf

towelie

i don't want to completely burn his spot although it's a pretty big area if it's where i think it is but i've had a lot of success in the newton to watertown stretch where it widens. there is a lot of cover (sometimes too much) and tons of big bass and pickerel. the best way to describe the area is that it is from the marriott to the woerd ave. boat launch. apparently that's where the northerns are at too. i know people also do well down in the needham area too.

oh cool thanks. I wasn't going to go blow up his spot just curious about the general area which is why I asked what town/city and not the exact spot. But I often forget that this forum is visible to non-members, I've got to keep that in mind.

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:14 pm

towelie

oh cool thanks. I wasn't going to go blow up his spot just curious about the general area which is why I asked what town/city and not the exact spot. But I often forget that this forum is visible to non-members, I've got to keep that in mind.

no worries at all i didn't mean it like that. i don't mind giving up exact spots but didn't want to offend sd2 with my guess if he wanted to keep it private for whatever reason. i don't even know if he's fishing the exact location i'm thinking of but i know i can give you specific details of the popular general area if you want. it's where i mentioned before and basically, there are a lot of coves, pretty shallow water (8' max?) and heavy heavy heavy cover that takes over the coves. you can't even get in some spots that are wide open in the spring. that thick chestnut weed bed stuff.

http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/link-on-how-to-fish-the-water-chestnut-weed-beds-t3218.html

boat launch is at woerd ave and i think this is pretty accurate:

82 woerd ave waltham ma

send me a PM and check out some of my trips on the charles if you want some more information or have any specific questions, i have no problem sharing the nitty gritty such as lures, spots, whatever.

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:20 pm

That spot is no secret, there are always other guys fishing there, mostly you get bass less than 2 lbs. there but an occasional nicer one is landed. Weeds are everywhere this year, no lack of cover to fish if you want to punch mats.

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:48 pm

what kinda lures do you guys throw in the charles?

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:32 pm

cool. i've had good success on that stretch. the big ones are towards the west. i usually throw jigs, senkos, spinnerbaits, the occasional crank. tons of slop so punching is key.

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links