Back in the 1980s I used to use with great success a plastic worm called the Augertail from Mann's Bait Co. I haven't heard of them in forever, and after searching at Bass Pro Shops and Dick's Sporting Goods, I didn't think they were made anymore... but they ARE! Thanks to the internet I have found several sources for these great worms - with a unique half round, half flat, u-shaped design, it really catches fish.

My favorite colors back home in the dingy Oklahoma waters were junebug, tequila sunrise, and blackberry. Here in the northeast's clearer waters, I'd go for watermelon seed, motor oil/red flake, and kudzu.

they come in 6" and 8" sizes and 10 or 100 packs.

Sometimes what is old is new again?

http://www.mannsbait.com/searchitems.asp?Searchfield=Augertail%20Worm&Sc=Yes

Posted Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:51 pm

yup those are classics! Believe it or not Ive had some great luck with junebug in some gin clear stuff.

Posted Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:31 pm

bam

yup those are classics! Believe it or not Ive had some great luck with junebug in some gin clear stuff.

there's one color that we used to use in the early springtime - RED. Crawfish-looking baits in the spring is fairly common, but these were literally RED. I think it started in Texas, but pre-spawn bass down there go nuts over em... shortly after moving here to MA 8 years ago I tried red lizards in the spring and I couldn't buy a bite on em! LOL Laughing

Posted Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:29 pm

In all honesty I never seem to do well with lizards at all,but in all fairness I dont really give them the time any more because of it.most of them are collecting dust in their bags at the bottom of my worm bag,but the color red,especially red shad is an all time classic with me and will always have a spot in my worm bag.

Posted Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks for the link.Its nice to see a company besides berkley who sells bulk.Once I hit the lottery I'm gonna give Gary Yamamoto a call,lets see.......100 senkos....that'll be 98.00 please,Thank you,come again.

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:26 am

screw yamamotos. Ochos are the way to go. They are cheaper, softer, and have way better action. the 8 flat sides give them a nice slow fall and awesome action. Ill never go back to yamies again.

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 pm

I have all but completely switched to Yum and Strike King stick worms because of their cost and durability,with the only yamamotos being an occasional few bags of their kinami line.Wave Tikis are decent but the color selection is usually lacking IMO

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:10 pm

nice someone agrees!!! I ve been goin on about ochos like a maniac on like every single thread.

Posted Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:04 pm

The Mann's augertails are fool proof. They have never let me down. We order them all the time from Mann's website.

Posted Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links