the frogs are singing at night, the weed mats are starting to form and lily pads are out too - time to throw that topwater frog!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J8ra34MKTA&playnext_from=TL&videos=tNoMhs6H5Gs[/youtube]

besides crawling em over weeds & pads, you can also fish these in open water like a buzzbait.

Stanley Ribbit frog - I rig em with a 3/0 or 4/0 extra wide gap hook & 30lb Spiderwire braid. You can also use weighted hooks, like the kind you might use with swimbaits. As with most topwater fishing, don't set the hook at the splash, wait just a second until you feel the fish, then cross his eyes! hehehe

Posted Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:47 am

Will I have those frogs but had no luck but I still like to try them when I fish over at Lake Rico.

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:01 pm

inkslinger

Will I have those frogs but had no luck but I still like to try them when I fish over at Lake Rico.

hey, good to see you again!

I've caught quite a few over at Rico lately. Nothing big, but they're all fun, eh? At about the middle point of the dam there is a section with a bunch of lily pads & cattails... I've got a bunch of blow-ups on the frog just reeling it slowly across the surface in the open water right next to the pads. A Senko in there works really good too. I had one literally swallow my Senko the other day! Look:

that Senko is 6" long! I felt bad for the guy as he was hooked actually inside his stomach. Crying or Very sad

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:10 pm

inkslinger

Will so far I have some bad luck these past couple of weeks, I tried everything I had in my tool box , except for real worms that I buy for my 10yr son. I have been going to the far left side of Lake Rico { The trail that goes around the Lagoon on the first clearing, Nice cover for fishing when it's hot out side } will try again this weekend!!
Getting a foot operation on the 24th and will not be able to walk for 3 months!

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:28 pm

inkslinger

inkslinger

Will so far I have some bad luck these past couple of weeks, I tried everything I had in my tool box , except for real worms that I buy for my 10yr son. I have been going to the far left side of Lake Rico { The trail that goes around the Lagoon on the first clearing, Nice cover for fishing when it's hot out side } will try again this weekend!!
Getting a foot operation on the 24th and will not be able to walk for 3 months!

oh man, I hope everything goes well with your procedure.

I had my best day ever at Massasoit today - I went into the park(you have to get a permit at the gate to drive in there) and fished at Big Bear Hole Pond, which is the last pond in the whole place. They have it blocked off so you can't go any further. Man, what a day... I caught 7 pickerel and 5 largemouth bass in 2 hours! I did catch 1 of the bigger bass(about 2 1/2 lbs) on the frog, but most came on other lures...

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Now is that part of Lake Rico? How much did the permit coast to get into Big Bear Hole Pond??

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:19 pm

inkslinger

Now is that part of Lake Rico? How much did the permit coast to get into Big Bear Hole Pond??

it's one of several bodies of water within Massasoit State Park. Lake Rico is just the easiest one to get to...

The permit doesn't cost anything - you just stop at the gate and fill out a form on a clipboard with your car, tag # & fishing license #, then hang the permit from your rear view mirror. Only people with fishing licenses, handicap or veteran tags can drive in past the gate - you just need to pick up the permit at the little station house there. When you're leaving, you just drop the permit into a mailbox thing on the way out. The permit is only good for that day(i.e., you can't keep it till the next day or whatever) and everyone has to be out by 3pm. That part kinda sucks, but that water back there doesn't get anywhere near the fishing pressure as Rico does, so it's worth it. In fact, I have only seen another person besides me fishing back there only once or twice...

here's where it is:

I couldn't find the name anywhere, hence the question mark, but somebody here on the boards found it online somewhere.

They have all the side roads blocked off because there was a lightning strike that blew out all the electrical systems in the whole park, so you can only drive on that main road, so you just follow it till it ends and there is Big Bear Hole Pond.

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:50 pm

Wow are they open on weekends too? I only have 5 day's left to fish before I start riding those little electric carts in Wall-mart racing the Senior's

Posted Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:06 pm

inkslinger

Wow are they open on weekends too? I only have 5 day's left to fish before I start riding those little electric carts in Wall-mart racing the Senior's

I don't know if it's open on weekends - I assume it is, but I don't know for sure.

I went back there today for a little bit - caught 3 pickerel and 1 bass.

Posted Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Will I got to Big Bear Pond on Mon. after 8am , Is a nice place , nice and clean! Got a bass an a Crappy . The guard said he only had 2 tags to put on your car, He said they had 12, but people kept forgetting to put them in the box on the way out, Might try again tomorrow morning.

Posted Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:27 pm

I haven't got to fish all week - Sunday evening I was in the backyard and I got stung by a bee on my right foot... evidently, I am highly allergic to bee stings(which I didn't know), as I had a HUGE reaction to it... within 10 minutes of the sting, my hands starting turning bright red and itching like fire, I was sweating and couldn't catch my breath, and then I started getting chest pains like I was having a heart attack!! It was like someone standing on my heart...

My wife called 911 and an ambulance rushed me to the hospital - they said it was "anaphylactic shock".

Now I have to carry a self-injection thing with me called an 'Epi-pen' everywhere I go, in case it should happen again.

My foot is still swollen and has a big bright red patch on it, 4 days later. I can't really walk on it at all - it feels like someone just stomped their heel onto the top of my foot, even though the sting was on the bottom of my 4th toe.

I think it was the scariest thing I have ever had happen to me. Crying or Very sad

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Jesus Tony I hope it clears up soon man. that's some scary stuff

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:19 pm

scary stuff man but you will be ok. that epipin will keep you safe dont ever forget it. I seen this happen to a guy on the golf course right next to me and it was crazy. I was shocked to learn it was all from a Bee.

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Wow Tony !!! My Wife is the same way since been a child very highly allergic, She almost die from it when she was little. Make you wonder what a little insect can do to you . Hope you get better,

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:53 pm

Glad to hear you're doing better. Allergic reactions can be scary stuff. Thankfully the epi-pen should handle it no problem. They train us to use it here at the school, in case we have residents that carry them. Easy as pie, and highly effective.

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links