Hello, I am looking to do some trout fishing in the Shawsheen. I Live in Methuen and am semi familiar with Andover. But for the life of me, I can not figure out a place to fish in the Shawsheen. I was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to tell me some areas to fish the Shawsheen in the Andover area.
Thanks so much in advance
Jason

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:07 am

Dont know the area, but you can use the map capabilities to find spots on this site.

Posted Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:42 pm

I have lived in andover all my life and am very comfortable with my knowledge of all bodies of water aroune since ive been fishing since i was 3. On the shawsheen, trout arent the easiest to find, but theyre there. There is a mill in ballardvale with a parking lot, and to catch some trout (brookies mainly here) barely any rainbows but some, i recomend picking up a few panther martin spinners, and using them. Theyre small and the fish love them. Youll catch some holdover brookies 10-18 inches on these, some yellow perch and some bass. Another spot for trout is down but the horn bridge. This is on central street, right by the intersection of andover street. There is a little parking spot and a huge grassy area. Here there are some ripples, about class 2s that go under the road where i recomend a flyrod, and a mayfly or caddis emerger, small around size 14-18, during spring, a grasshopper after rainfall any time of warm weather, or a mosquito (griffiths gnat) in summer andfall. The ripples will carry brookies but more rainbows. A little father upstream it is very slow, and a worm any time of year will catch you rainbows, brooks and browns. They run large here, as i have caught many 10-14 inch rainbows, and one 19 inch rainbow. And some nice browns, one about 17. Early morning is best here becuse the sun will be on the east bank, not casting a shadow. And dusk is harder as the sun is behind you, on the west bank. This bridge spot is one of my favorite anywhere in northeastern mass, but being only 16 im sure ill find more. I hope his helps, and maybe i will see you down there sometime. Good luck

Posted Sat May 01, 2010 10:14 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links