I've been trying for a while to catch my first brown trout, and today I went out trout fishing in hopes I'd get one along with some brookies. I got skunked (other than two short fights) but what was really frustrating was that I went over to a spot where some people were fishing earlier and there were a bunch of trout heads laying around. They were mostly brookies, but there was a brown too, and it looked like it was a nice fish. So I dunno, seeing that the fish I had been chasing was in that pond earlier this same day and then got caught and killed just kinda annoyed me to a degree, don't know if I'm just being whiny...

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:57 pm

have you ever heard the expression " half the solution is admitting there's a problem ? " ....yes , you are just being whiny , and you are acknowledging it...good work

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:26 pm

My issue is that some ass left fish parts in the lake . REALLY You cant clean them at home ??? Sorry just a pet peeve of mine ......................
As for catching your first brown ,They are agressive fish ,Try f 3 or f 5 rapalas in Rainbow or black and gold .... Or the head of a crawler retrieved slowly ......

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:39 pm

baystateangler

I've been trying for a while to catch my first brown trout, and today I went out trout fishing in hopes I'd get one along with some brookies. I got skunked (other than two short fights) but what was really frustrating was that I went over to a spot where some people were fishing earlier and there were a bunch of trout heads laying around. They were mostly brookies, but there was a brown too, and it looked like it was a nice fish. So I dunno, seeing that the fish I had been chasing was in that pond earlier this same day and then got caught and killed just kinda annoyed me to a degree, don't know if I'm just being whiny...

Agreed. Catch & Release is so important, but there aren't many who support it here. Trout Unlimited might be an organization you'd be interested in.

http://www.tu.org

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:58 am

Yeah, I don't get cleaning the fish at the lake and leaving the remains around. Racoons will probably eat them, but why make such a mess.

This week was my trout fishing debut, and it does seem that a lot of people keep them to eat - myself included, since I gut-hooked the first rainbow I caught at Walden Pond on Friday, and the second one was pretty badly-hooked as well. That appears to be one of the hazards of using Powerbait.

I read somewhere that 90% of the rainbow stockies in MA each year are caught, which I assumes means kept for the table. I don't think as many browns and brookies are caught - sounds like they are the more wily species and constitute more of the holdovers.

Good luck getting your first brown!

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:06 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links