So I went out to Watatic with the kids tonight for some "Fathers Day Fishing"... but my trolling motor is apparently crapping out. I'm hoping somebody has an idea foe me...

It's a Minn Kota Endura C2, 40lb thrust. Has worked fine for years hooked up to my Minn Kota trolling motor power center. Tonight, when I got it hooked up it tripped the 60 amp breaker on the power center. I reset it, tried again, and tripped it again.

Any idea what's happening? I took the cover off the top of the motor and checked that the wires weren't thinned anywhere, and aren't making contact with anything.

Could it be as simple as my battery needing to be replaced?

Posted Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Check the prop to see if it turns freely.May have line binding it.You may also have moisture in the lower unit,or it's shorting out there.There are 2 bolts under prop that hold the lower unit together.Check out utube for video info.

Posted Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:28 am

weeds could have gotten in behind the prop, too, and gotten tangled up

Posted Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:50 am

I took the lower unit apart yesterday. The magnetic cylinder had a piece cracked off of it. Not sure if that was jamming it up and caused it to overheat, but I removed the piece (was only about 1/2 inch square) and it still doesn't work.

I've got a call and email into the Minn Kota people, who aren't open on the weekends, but I'm more than likely just going to end up buying a new one. This one has gotten a lot of use over the years, and has taken a beating in the weeds. I do stop and clear the prop when it gets weed-wrapped, but I'm sure it's taken its toll.

We'll see what the Minn Kota people say. I'm not going to spend much to fix it, because these transom mount TMs are dirt cheap to begin with.

Posted Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:38 am

I have owned 2 of the 30's over the years and had a couple of different problems. the switch went bad in both of them so some or all speeds did not work. also 2 wires melted together near the switch in one of them and caused overheating. just pointing out that as a trouble area.

Posted Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:06 am

Wow, I've owned a good 10+ TM's over the years of all different brands. ( Still have/run 4) Never had one crap out for any reason. ( Even my first, 15# thurst MK from 1972 still purrs.) I'd agree on not spending $ to fix it as they are cheap enough and last forever. That said, you might consider one with variable speed if you can afford it. I've found these models to absolutely sip battery power to the point that I can run a 3-4 hr fishing trip on a 1/2 sized wheel chair (u1) battery. Nice not to have to lug that monster size 27 battery anymore.

Posted Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:23 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links