I'm going to be buying a Fish Finder next week so I've been doing some research but wanted suggestions from you guys.

I basically fish a lot of shallow water with some deeper water in the mix but all freshwater. I'm gonna be in the $200 to $350 price range. I'm more interested in seeing depth and structure than actual fish but seeing fish themselves would be a bonus I suppose.

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:49 pm

I was just checking out Lowrance and they seem to have dropped in price and most models have rebates

Last edited by purpleturkey on Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:20 pm

If you're interested in structure then you should definitely think of down imaging when looking for your optimal fishfinder. Definitely check out the Humminbird Helix 5 DI, which goes for about $250. Here's a link to it on Cabela's: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Marine-Electronics/Sonars-SonarGPS-Combos%7C/pc/104794380/c/104707080/sc/104588280/Humminbirdreg-Helix-5-DI-Sonar/1925188.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsonars-sonar-gps-combos%2Fhumminbird%2F_%2FN-1100517%2B1000003678%2FNe-1000003678%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104588280%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:58 pm

I have the Hummingbird Helix 5 Sonar, Down Imaging, Side Imaging and Chart Plotting - it's awesome!! Love it!! Side Imaging take a little while to understand what you are seeing, but it's will show you underwater structure, and with the chart plotting option you can make a way point on anything you find so you can find it later. I paid $499 for the unit, and I know I won't be replacing it next year when something better comes out. It serves it's purpose very well and does everything I want a fish finder to do. Of course, there are far better units out there but for the price I paid, I am very happy with it.

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:23 pm

I think I'm going to be selling my elite 4 dsi if you're interested. Want something with a bigger screen on my new boat. I have the trolling motor mount and it works great, gps is a little over kill for most of my fishing but nice once in a while, and down scan is just awesome.

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:31 pm

swill17

I think I'm going to be selling my elite 4 dsi if you're interested. Want something with a bigger screen on my new boat. I have the trolling motor mount and it works great, gps is a little over kill for most of my fishing but nice once in a while, and down scan is just awesome.

How much you asking for the Elite 4 DSI???

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:21 am

This might be obvious, but I'll say it anyway: Keep in mind a lot of fish finders are powered by either the boat battery or an external battery, so you can spend $300 on a nice fish finder but still not be able to use it because your kayak doesn't have a battery.

Decent external batteries run like $50+ too.

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:22 pm

I have a helix 5 di/gps and love it would highly recommend and you can get just a di model for 300

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:50 pm

jacobageller

This might be obvious, but I'll say it anyway: Keep in mind a lot of fish finders are powered by either the boat battery or an external battery, so you can spend $300 on a nice fish finder but still not be able to use it because your kayak doesn't have a battery.

Decent external batteries run like $50+ too.

Great tip, there's always another $50 - $100 hidden Exclamation I had $400 to buy a kayak. BassPro had the FS10 on sale $399. Then I needed a paddle and a life jacket $$ Evil or Very Mad

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:06 pm

"Obvious" is probably the understatement of the year when it comes to fishing.... everything has an added expense.... oh, you want to throw big swimbaits - new rod & reel and line, you want a fish finder - battery and charger, you want a kayak - life jacket and paddle (and a whole bunch of other stuff too) - oh and while we are on the "obvious", the fish WILL eat your soft plastics, so you will always be replenishing them too..... Fishing - the "obvious" high cost sport..... Very Happy

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:34 pm

There is another hidden "expense." Explaining to your wife why you need 10 different rods/reels, lures, dozens of utility boxes, etc...
Very Happy

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Yeah, i knew about the battery, there's always a reason to spend more on fishing lol. Even when i tell myself it's gonna be a cheap trip, i always end up stopping at a bait store first.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:03 pm

FYI, I bought a cheap 12v off of amazon for $15, threw it in a tupperware container and wired it up.

So the battery can be had for cheap $ if needed.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:39 pm

purpleturkey

swill17

Decided to hold onto it for another season, as much as I'd like to invest in a SI unit its not going to happen this year.

Posted Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:31 pm

swill17

purpleturkey

swill17

Decided to hold onto it for another season, as much as I'd like to invest in a SI unit its not going to happen this year.

No worries

Posted Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:48 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links