All these pictures of Big Bass, some are truly impressive.... without naming specific bodies of water to prevent anyone from "blowing up a honey hole" - Are these big bass being taken from Northern or Southern Mass waters??

Posted Sun May 31, 2015 6:58 pm

You can catch big bass in pretty much any area of MA but if I had to guess, I'd say about 60% come from the South Shore/Cape Area. Some "classic big bass lakes" you can try are the Nip, Sampsons, A-1, Whitehall, or Big Sandy. Keep in mind that those places get absolutely pounded year round so catching a truly impressive bass isn't easy.

Posted Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:42 pm

I love seeing the pics too, but been fishing in Mass for 30 years and quality fish keep getting more scarce every year. Don't bug me with I don't know fishing etc, fished 12 ways till tuesday in most places northern mass, the big ones are not here. I can't even count on low or high water spots on the merrimack river, my home river anymore.

I have moved to salt water fishing or dedicated trips to Wachusett or Quabbin where better skill can result in bigger fish.

Posted Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Yeah the big bass are certainly elusive to North Shore MA, as far as I know. I've never been able to get over the 5-6 lbs mark. Alhough, I've noticed the average size of fish does increase as you go west or south in MA. I just don't think there are too many bodies of water in Northern MA to support a steady supply of prey for the bass to fatten up on. Maybe it's the depth of most ponds/lakes in Northern MA, or the temperature is more harsh in the winter in Northern MA, killing off young bass and/or their prey, or the fact that the waters in Northern MA are generally pretty murky because of Merrimack and Shawsheen river pollution?

Mass.gov says LMB were introduced to Essex county (MA) from Northern NY around 1879, so you figure with Essex county being Northern MA, that large bass would exist here, but I just don't think it's ideal conditions for them to grow as large as they do in Western/Southern MA.

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 am

Spot Pond in Stoneham is a great spot for big bass. They can be elusive, but they're in there. Baitfish and crawfish keep 'em big, it gets pretty deep in the middle. It's deceptively large, too. The fishing pressure is pretty strong on the shores (Turtle Rock, Straw Point), but there are places on the shore where the fishing pressure is lower, islands in the middle which are relatively untouched, and the fishing pressure by boat is kept low by the fact that Spot Pond doesn't allow private boats and a rental costs $40 per day. The bottom is almost all rock and gravel with steep dropoffs underwater structure all over. If you're looking for big bass north of Boston and like that kind of fishing, I'd recommend Spot. Live crawfish can be caught there too!

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:10 am

There are still some quality bass in Essex county. The fishing is definatly tougher then it was in the early 90's. I don't see how moving over to saltwater is going to satisfy you. Striper fishing has taken a nose dive in my humble opinion. I have walked beaches all night and I would be lucky to see one surf fisherman haul in 1 schoolie. The guys on boats fair a little better.

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links