I have a "jitterbug" by arbogast and am yet to catch a fish on it. It is advertised as the best nighttime bass fishing topwater around. Has anybody had success on the jitterbug over frogs, buzzbaits, or other topwaters?

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:49 pm

more pickerel than bass

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:13 pm

The jitterbug was brought out back in 1938.... a real test of time for a topwater bait!! - I had one back in 1984 that I used to rack up some really nice bass night fishing in Southern Georgia. Biggest one I caught on it was over 8 lbs. Slow retrieve just so it would wag back and forth..... awesome lure. As far as pickerel hitting it??.... pickerel will hit anything that comes nears them, they are not too fussy....

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:53 pm

my dad actually caught his first bass on a jitterbug at Jamaica Pond. He still has the actual lure, too!

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:36 pm

I have had success with a black jointed jitterbug while fishing at night. It is my all time favorite lure when fishing at night.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Best topwater lure in my box for sure. Any shallow-ish pond that has bass, it will do great at. And there's nothing to it... just reel it in straight and it has great action.

If you're feeling ambitious, pick up one of the musky-sized, jointed, 6+ inch, black jitterbug. These are one of the best big fish baits you can get, and rival $60 slammers.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:46 pm

The jitterbug was the first lure my dad ever introduced me to when he was teaching me the ins and outs of fishing. It's an awesome top water and excels at night. I've caught some of best night time bass on them. Only downside is that the double treble setup can snag easily and if you're fishing it at night, from the shore especially, it can me a lost lure if you're not careful.

Posted Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:12 am

Does anyone prefer jitterbugs over a hollow body frog, or vice versa? The jitterbug moves a lot of water, and hooks fish a lot easier. I like to mostly save my frogs for pads and throw the jitterbug out in open water.

Posted Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:28 pm

River2sea actully has a frog with the jitterbug style mouth on it. Best of all it's completely weedless. So those times your throwing the frog in the pads and you hit an open water patch in the middle you got the extra action to bring em up.

Posted Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:22 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links