I read a small article online earlier about catching bass on in line spinners. I typically don't use those lures for bass but I was Wondering if anybody here has also had luck with in line spinners?

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 6:50 pm

The only luck I've had with inline spinners is on crappie and other small fish like yellow perch and miniscule pickerel .I don't like them because the smaller sizes are really light in weight and I just don't catch with them.

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Alright. That's kinda what I was expecting. I usually use in line spinners for trout only.

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Ya, I've basically stopped using them, even for trout. I find many advantages to spoons: the trout love them, they aren't too expensive, they cast MUCH farther, and I think they have a much better action. All inline spinners do is drag through the water with the blade spinning, which is barely anything. Spoons are SO Much better in my opinion and through my experiences. I would only use inline spinners for some close-to-shore or boatside crappie fishing. You could pop bluegill with them, too, if you're one of those people who enjoy catching bluegill for whatever reason. If you do use inline spinners for bass, try a Mepps Aglia #4 and retrieve it close to the top of the water column, bass do take that. Basically just go big if you're using inline spinners for bass fishing. For trout fishing, I throw out two rods: an egg sinker-rigged pair of Berkley Gulp Alive floating salmon eggs and a spoon that I cast and retrieve. That gets me good results.

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 7:44 pm

They arnt using trout sized ones, they are using bass sized I think its number 3 or 4. Very easy to snag if around timber. I have had good luck with them personally. They are so incredibly expensive though, an Mepps Aglia 3 with a dressed hook in the colors I use are like 6 bucks. If I wanted to I could make them for like .75$ a piece

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely use spoons more often For the trout. I was just making sure I wasn't the only one here who didn't use in line spinners for bass.

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 7:49 pm

They arnt using trout sized ones, they are using bass sized I think its number 3 or 4. Very easy to snag if around timber. I have had good luck with them personally. They are so incredibly expensive though, an Mepps Aglia 3 with a dressed hook in the colors I use are like 6 bucks. If I wanted to I could make them for like .75$ a piece. .

I use only small Mepps and rooster tails, not the big ones. I just haven't had luck with them

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 7:54 pm

So are u guys saying that the mepps in line spinners will catch bass?

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 8:01 pm

jake_chiasson45

So are u guys saying that the mepps in line spinners will catch bass?

Yep.

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Ok. Well, when and where do u fish these lures for bass? I've really only used spinners for trout and pike.

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 8:07 pm

I've caught more than a few largemouth bass on #3 Mepps Black Furys and Comet Minnows.

- Patrick

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 8:36 pm

Will the bass bite these any time of day or only a specific time?

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Bass will hit virtually any time on them, and so will the dreaded hammer handle slime darts, I will usually only tie on an inline spinner if the bite is extremely tough that day, I will usually use for a #4 or #5 mepps.............that being said, I know a place where the pike CRUSH inline spinners and its hard to get a bite on anything else....go figure

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 7:06 am

THey work very well for bass in cold water as well as when the bite is tough! Even the big ones will bite for inline spinners. I got a nice largemouth close to 5 lbs on a mepps a few weeks ago.

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 am

Great info guys. Thanks

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 2:07 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links