Anyone know of any decent catfishing spots besides the merrimac river? Im from OK and love them. [/list][/b]

Posted Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:10 pm

Depends on the type...

The Merrimack itself is pretty good for most types of them. Cut bait on the bottom or worms or breadballs or hot dogs.. you get the idea.

Forest Pond in Methuen is where the state record bullhead was caught. Probably frozen over by now, but ice fishing for them is super easy. Just drop your bait on the bottom and wait for a flag. I can easily catch 20 a night in my local pond.

Posted Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks man! Ive tried forest. Fished there since i was like 6 never caught one. But ill try icefishing. Do u know any ponds/lakes besides forest & the river. Tryig new places

Posted Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Second on Forest. You may have better luck through the ice as you can have five rods/tip ups out. Just make sure they are on the bottom, and I'd use worms.

And it hasn't been mentioned, but fish at night. For me the catfish bite only starts at about 7 or so. I get there (bring a headlamp and flashlights -- it's really dark), set my tip ups, and stay warm! Hand warmers, gloves - it gets cold at night!

Posted Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links