pros vs cons? i want a swimbait reel. lp or rounds?

what about pitching flipping punching and frogging?

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:19 am

Id say either a higher end LP, or a round reel that you like/find comfortable in your hand should do the trick.

Using Savage gear and Huddles, I used an Abu Garcia Orra SX on an Okuma as my swimbait setup and had some issues ($99 reel) so I switched to the Revo Winch ($199) and have not had any issues casting since.

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:33 am

bassturds

what about pitching flipping punching and frogging?

I have one of the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels and this thing is not good at throwing anything really under 1oz.

Im sure it may just be the reel as it is a lower end one, but it has given me a lot of backlash issues when I try to really throw anything but jigs... so I pretty much only use it for throwing plugs and large swimbaits for striper fishing

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:36 am

im getting the ambasseduer for swimbaits.

so rounds are better then lows??

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:03 am

bassturds

im getting the ambasseduer for swimbaits.

so rounds are better then lows??

rounds handle big baits better and have more spool capacity. Low profiles are more comfortable so I use them mostly.

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 am

For a round reel the $100 - $120 range the Shimnao Cardiff is hard to beat. If you can spend $200 - $220 Shimano Calcutta B is an awesome round swimbait reel. For low profile The Shimano Curado 300E or 300EJ are in the $250 range and hold more line then the standard Curados.

I like the lower profile reels because they feel more comfortable in my hand.

Edit: if you can find a used Curado dhsv they make good swimbait reels as well. I have one of them and a 300E and thats what i use. I used to own a Cardiff for 3 years but upgraded to the to others about a year ago.

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:29 pm

Rounds for swimbaits.

Low profile for frogging and jigs.

The Ambassador should be good for what you are looking to throw.

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:45 pm

awesome thats the exact info i was looking for. lows for frogs and jigs, rounds for swimbaits

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:07 pm

i think there might be a low profile lews that has a high line capacity. low profile will be more comfortable overall.

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:43 pm

samf

i think there might be a low profile lews that has a high line capacity. low profile will be more comfortable overall.

But overall, big, round reels just seem to handle those 3-5 ounce baits better.

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:20 pm

stratos1966

For a round reel the $100 - $120 range the Shimnao Cardiff is hard to beat. If you can spend $200 - $220 Shimano Calcutta B is an awesome round swimbait reel. For low profile The Shimano Curado 300E or 300EJ are in the $250 range and hold more line then the standard Curados.

I like the lower profile reels because they feel more comfortable in my hand.

Edit: if you can find a used Curado dhsv they make good swimbait reels as well. I have one of them and a 300E and thats what i use. I used to own a Cardiff for 3 years but upgraded to the to others about a year ago.

I'm w/Stratos . . . I use All Star rods - they've never disappointed. I'm also a left hand cranker & Shimano is the best, in my opinion, at providing for my preference.

Posted Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:17 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links