Hi
I would like to buy a good medium action rod and reel combo that I could you to fish from my canoe, both trolling or casting.
Any recommandation? I would say my budget would be around $50-60
Thanks

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:29 pm

you can't get anything worthwhile in that range for a baitcaster so I am going to assume you want a spinning setup. combos may not be the best way to go unless both pieces are worth it. this is the best I can do, I have at least 8 of these reels so I know they are good. I like a 6 ft rod for canoe use, 6.5 ft would be better all around but this model only has a two piece one. you may find another rod you like but this reel is a must for the $30 price. total cost $70

reel - shimano sienna SN2500FDC http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Sienna-FD-%28Front-Drag%29-Spinning-Reels/product/12082905322366/

rod - basspro 6ft mediam one piece http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Graphite-Series-Spinning-Rods/product/1204170505228/

if you go to basspro they got some combos to look at, not everything thats on the website.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Just picked up a rod and reel combo at Walmart for $69.99. Abu Garcia Black Max baitcasting reel and a Black Max 6'6" Medium Action Rod. Reel alone lists for $59, so I figure I got a semi good rod for $10. The set up works good for me......

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks guys!
I guess my question is more like: how do you know you have a good quality rod and reel in front of you in the store when before you buy it?
Right now I have a matzuo mtz602 and a shakespeare cirrus that I paid $30 each at walmart last year but they feel like cheap construction and I am affraid that they are going to break every time I use them... The reel in the cirrus was terrible and I put a crossfire 1000 3iB that I got from an old broken crossfire rod and the reel from the matzuo makes a weird plastic noise every time I reel in. I don't know, maybe it is because they are made of plastic compared to the crossfire reel which is metal but I don't feel very comfortable fishing with those...
The matzuo rod does not seem to be very powerful and I am afraid of quality as well, although it did not break, so I don't know, maybe I am a bit paranoid...
Bottom line is that I would like to upgrade a bit and have rods I feel more comfortable fishing with especially in case I get a nice big fish (I only got fish under 2lbs so far) without spending too much on it either.

So when you buy a rod and reel what do you look at specifically? Plastic vs metal? # of ball bearings? Rod material?

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:23 pm

Checkout tackletour.com for an idea of good gear and how it's
Rated. At the price point your working with, there probably won't be much on the website, but at least it can give you some reference.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 am

Avoid Shakespeare reels at all costs

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:34 am

my prioritys for spinning reels are reviews and brand name.. how many bearings or material doesn't really matter if it doesn't feel right or work right or last long. example = the shimano sienna 2500 I mentioned is plastic (graphite) not many bearings and will last for years. for rods material matters and reviews. google graphite rod specs, IM6, IM7, IM8, etc.
so I use $30 reels on $100 rods, good enough for recreational fishing.

Last edited by oldfisher on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:05 am

Pflueger makes a nice spinning combo for around $65. 7' medium action rod with their President reel (which I love).

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:19 am

walleyefanatic

Pflueger makes a nice spinning combo for around $65. 7' medium action rod with their President reel (which I love).

probably the best cheap combo you could get. has the same basspro rod I mentioned, its $79

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:40 am

Thanks guys!

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:43 pm

Get either an abu garcia cardinal or a pflueger president reel. Also I have some old spinning rods I don't use if you want them. Shoot me a pm and I'll let you know what I have. I have a couple old quantums and a bass pro graphite series, I forget te specifics on them.

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:20 am

Alright so I went to basspro shops friday evening (the store is really nice by the way!), they didn't have the sienna reel so I got the combo IM6 with president reel. It is awsome!!! This is such an upgrade compared to the matzuo combo I had. No more squeeky noise when I reel in Very Happy

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:46 pm

mikem

Get either an abu garcia cardinal or a pflueger president reel. Also I have some old spinning rods I don't use if you want them. Shoot me a pm and I'll let you know what I have. I have a couple old quantums and a bass pro graphite series, I forget te specifics on them.

Thanks Mikem this is very nice of you! I should be fine with now but I really appreciate it

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links