Has anyone fished the Chestnut Hill Reservoir recently? If so, any luck? It used to be teeming with pickerel and crappie. I have been there twice recently and all I am seeing are baby yellow perch.

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:52 pm

I decided to fish Chestnut hill today to see what the water was like after your comments about the absence of Pickerel and Crappie. I got onto the water today around 9:30am. The water was very clear. It was clearer then I have ever seen it. There was almost no under water vegetation except some green snot weed growing on the rocky bottom.

Late last fall and Earlier this winter I noticed that there was a dredging machine that seemed to be working its way around the edges of the reservoir clearing out weeds.

So no cover, no fish unless they are out in the middle of the lake out of casting range.

I brought my pickerel lures and gear but failed to scare up a pickerel.

Even the bluegill spawning beds looked uninhabited. I only had small fish following my lures to today gills and fingerling yellow perch.

I also saw lots of heavy machinery mowing the grass and vegetation that grows on the slopes of the shoreline.

I got the feeling that they might be preparing this reservoir to return it to active status, which might explain why the water is now clearer then it has been in the past several years.

Anyway, don't waste your time fishing this place as it no longer seems to contain any game fish any more.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks for the information and confirmation.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links