I have a question for you guys about Topwater frogs, whether it be regular glide frogs, poppers or whatever, regarding the length of the skirts on said lures. I see/read a lot of people trimming the skirts/legs on the frogs. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Does it affect the swim action or pop of the lure? Does it look more realistic to the fish to have it shorter? Just curious, before I start trimming some of my frogs, figured I'd ask you guys your opinions.

Posted Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:27 pm

One reason is so the fish doesn't only bite the skirt

Posted Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 pm

i trim the skirt to the same length of the body of the frog and bend out the hooks a little just enough to catch your skin if u run ur finger down the body of the frog youtube dean rojoas or however u spell it he's a master of frogging

Posted Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:36 pm

By trimming the skirts they are easier to walk.

Posted Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:13 pm

The shorter skirts attracts the bass because the bass can see the frogs hoo hoo more easily.

Posted Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:44 am

trimming the skirts will make the frog sit more parallel on the water. it also gives it a smaller profile and makes walking them easier. i usually trim but length depends on the application - walking vs. not walking, do i want the longer "legs" to hang down through heavier cover? and so forth

Posted Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks for all the insight guys, I appreciate it! Creature, I checked out Dean Rojas, learned quite a bit from him, thanks for the tip! Very Happy

Posted Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Patience pays off. Keep plugging and it will happen!

Posted Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:49 pm

I don't trim all my legs, but I do have some that are trimmed. I use these in grass, bushes, etc. The legs tend to wrap around things sticking out of the water. Not hard to break free, but it causes a little too much commotion in doing so.

For pads and such, I've never had an issue with the longer legs.

Posted Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:49 pm

the longer legs is sometimes a good thing in thicker pads. it will keep the bait down and make it easier for the fish to pick up on. the legs will hang down between pads easier.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:49 pm

I have 1 I trim {4 finger length} and my second not cut, depends on how thick the pads are I will use for heavy cover with the uncut leg's

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links