I went up to Martins pond today to throw a frog around. Right away I noticed the grass was dead and brown and nasty. The water was disgusting looking. The pads were still green and looked good but I couldn't find any fish under them. I looked around offshore but there's nothing there. It looked like the water levels were down about a foot or maybe two. If you were considering going there. Fuggetaboutit

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 pm

It used to be fantastic fishing there once upon a time - I grew up on it. I pulled up the boat at the folks house and spent 20 minutes untangling my engine from all the weeds. I'm sure there's still decent fish in there (I've caught them), but every year it gets harder to justify going there, it's simply not worth it anymore.

Again, once upon a time, there was a movement to dredge the pond, give the rights to Benevento (owns local sand pit) to take whatever minerals/rocks out, then refill & stock. Today what we see is a result of that inaction, a decade or two from now, with no plan, you won't be able to put a boat in there.

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:31 am

I'm in ashburnham. They did the same thing and posted signs everywhere. They only let people on the water on 6-25. It sucks but the fish are still biting. They're either bunched up or non existent though.

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:55 pm

it seems to trend. went to hardy pond this week its got to be about 3 feet low and thick weeds are everywhere in the prop every-time you put down the trolling motor.
They have one of those weed machines there but don't know what they are doing. managed to pull 2 small fish near ramp(sucked)
same thing in Charles River Waltham.

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Been to martins 3 or 4 in the last few weeks (breaking my trolling motor in two different ways) and I can not get a bite there to save my life. Probably 20 hours on it and no fish over a pound and a half, less than a dozen bass total. Does not seem to be in good shape this year

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links