what lakes and ponds in central and western ma that have muskies and pike. where is my best chance? thanks in advance Very Happy

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:07 pm

indian lake in worcester has pike that are relatively easy to find, quinsig and its out croppings (flint pond! ) have pike and tigers , if you have boat access try south pond or north (quaboag)pond in brookfield state record pike came from south pond and every winter atleast one 20+ lb pike gets pulled threw the ice at quaboag.. south pond has some very deep spots and ive never fished it when its not iced up so finding them may or may not be difficult (couldnt help you) but if you want a chance at some biggins thats your best bet

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:52 pm

I don't know if I'd trust the guy with the monster pike for a profile fish about pike fishing... JK... I really need to get out there. I want a pike. Thanks for starting the thread and the reply.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:09 pm

live4fish

I don't know if I'd trust the guy with the monster pike for a profile fish about pike fishing... JK... I really need to get out there. I want a pike. Thanks for starting the thread and the reply.

lmao! i dont know about that guy with the big ass sturgeon for a profile pic... seems kinda shady Wink guys pike fishing with rod and reel imo is one of the funnest things you can do, im not big into ice fishing but its better than not fishing for 5 months so im forced to do it lol. but to me nothing beats the feeling of a nice angry pike on the end of the line, they fight similar to a carp if youve ever hooked any only much more violent with lots of headshakes and jumping Smile lots of guys dont fish for pike in the summer but i find it to be one of the best times if you know where to look. basically try to find the weediest grassiest spot on the lake then sub category that by finding what you think the coolest spot of water in that particular area is. pike are lazy in the summer and they will often just sit for hours on end at one shallow spot in the shade where there are weeds to ambush from and the water temp is even just a couple degrees cooler than the rest of the lake. i like to use paddeltail swimbaits particularly 5" strike king shadalicious cause you can really slow role em and the tail still kicks great cna you can chuck em into some heavy weeded areas without hanging up. if you are in a more open water situation not much beats the old standby mepps aglia, firetiger works great especially if you get the one with the dual blades.
best of luck to you both

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks for the tips and advice. Man, if you want company some time, I'll drop in my yak and wouldn't blow out your spot... I couldn't do Worcester area much more than a couple/few times a summer.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Lake Chauncey in Westboro has pike (and according the the DCR) muskie. I did the A1-Bassmaster ice derby there this past February and the winners for the pike/pickerel/muskie category were two ~9lb pikes and a very big pickerel (think it was like 4lbs+).

I fished that lake A LOT this past winter. I mean well over 20 full days spent on the ice. I didn't manage to land one but I had several hits that could only have been from a pike (or muskie I guess). The 8'' minnow looked like someone took a razor blade to it's side when I pulled it up after 100' of line got pulled out haha

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:58 am

Also Lake Cochituate in Framingham/Natick has pike as well. Same goes for Webster Lake. Both are huge bodies of water and I've never fished them for pike but they are most certainly in there.

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 am

i hooked into one ice fishing last year! my first time ice fishing for pike! missed it tho!!

thanks bassinbrooski! i need a trip out west for pike! ive never caught one or fish for em

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:40 pm

thanks for the tips! all have to try south pond and quabog since there only 10 minutes from me.

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:05 pm

I got this one in RI during my club T had to have been 20# got it on a spinnerbait

[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/ghorne/media/20pikeBlackstoneRiver.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:41 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links