Each year the NEPVA puts on a number a bass tournaments for paralyzed (or injured) veterans in New England. My father is one of them. This year, unfortunately, they're short boaters. They have 20 veterans and only 9 boaters.

Here's a little blurb about the trail from the NEPVA website:

"Anglers with disabilities are paired with boaters for a day of competitive fishing. The partners compete as a team and the team with the largest weight for their limit takes home the first place trophys. Points are also accumulated at each event towards a year ending TOC tournament. The anglers can compete in as many events as possible. Lunker prizes are also awarded for the largest bass taken at each tournament."

They used to do a tournament a month—six a year, I think—but I guess donations have decreased in recent years and as a result the tournaments have as well. So this year there are just two: June 8, Charles River, Brighton, MA (launch from the Newton Yacht Club) and Sept. 5-7, Lake Winnipesaukee, Moultonborough, NH.

There are no entries fees. Winners receive trophies, not cash. The Winnie tournament is a three-day event, Friday through Sunday, with the tournament on Saturday. Everyone stays for free at Camp Robindel (http://www.robindel.com) in Moultonborough, NH (safe for smaller, lighter boats, like Trackers). Food is provided, breakfast, lunch (on Saturday) and dinner (burgers, dogs, BBQ, etc.). They have games and a band plays. I'm pretty sure family is also welcome, but you'll have to double-check that. I'm not entirely sure how the lodging is handled, only that the camp cabins are used.

Anyway, this is my first year owning a boat so it's my first year participating. As a veteran myself, it's the least I can do. I've been to a few of the weigh-ins and it's a really great thing to see these guys, many of whom are wheelchair bound, get out there and have a good time on the water.

It'd be really great if all these guys got to fish this year. =)

If you need more specifics or have questions, you can contact Tom Lee at 508-740-9345, or e-mail him at wctek47 AT gmail.com. Or you can just register as a boater here: http://nepva.org/bass_trail.html

THANKS!

Posted Sun May 18, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm assuming no one signed up for this, but in case anyone did, the tournament on the Charles is Saturday, June 7, not 8. The site has both dates listed, but June 7 is the correct date.

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 5:03 pm

I didnt see this when you posted it! I am trying to make arraingments to be able to attend but not sure if I will be able.

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 5:25 pm

jamesd

I didnt see this when you posted it! I am trying to make arraingments to be able to attend but not sure if I will be able.

Cool, man. Hope you can. =)

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 7:42 pm

I've been a boater in two PVA tournaments and would have done a lot more had I not sold my boat. This is a truly fantastic organization. I'll be back as a boater on the Charles next year because I'm soon buying another boat. I won't have it in time for the tournament on June 7th though.

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 8:44 pm

aba-d36

I've been a boater in two PVA tournaments and would have done a lot more had I not sold my boat. This is a truly fantastic organization. I'll be back as a boater on the Charles next year because I'm soon buying another boat. I won't have it in time for the tournament on June 7th though.

Right on.

It's a shame they're short. I guess they began having issues when the amount of tournaments decreased, which is odd because no money is involved. But I don't know, maybe that's just a coincidence.

I'm sure no one misses the Roger Williams tournament. Haha.

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 11:44 pm

I could do sept 5-7th

Posted Fri May 30, 2014 2:32 pm

bigniv

I could do sept 5-7th

Sweet.

There is a link in the first post where you can sign up. =)

Posted Fri May 30, 2014 3:08 pm

I'd love to do this but not sure of my schedule on those dates.If i'm booked I will definitely sign up next year.

Posted Fri May 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks Kenwood for your Service to Our Country!!!

My friend Mike is competing in the NEPVA as a boater. He's been participating for the last 3 years. and he always has a great time. Mike has made some great friends through the tornaments. He also fishes the Lake Winnipisaukee Tournament.

If you have any questions for him, I can send you his contact information. Mike knows the Charles very well...

Good Luck

Posted Fri May 30, 2014 6:16 pm

johnyak

Thanks Kenwood for your Service to Our Country!!!

My friend Mike is competing in the NEPVA as a boater. He's been participating for the last 3 years. and he always has a great time. Mike has made some great friends through the tornaments. He also fishes the Lake Winnipisaukee Tournament.

If you have any questions for him, I can send you his contact information. Mike knows the Charles very well...

Good Luck

Thanks, John.

Wish I'd fished with your friend. My father has been doing this trail for nine years now. I fished with him and he had no ideas on where we should fish, so I went upstream. Big mistake. Everyone else went downstream. Haha.

Suffice it to say, we didn't do too well. Nothing but dinks. Oh well. Was a good time either way, and as it turned out, five non-boaters canceled so there were actually too many boats.

And Ken, did I see you there? Thought I did. =)

Posted Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links