400 fish die in Jamaica Pond

May 30, 2014
By John Ruch

About 400 dead fish washed ashore in Jamaica Pond over the Memorial Day weekend, a massive die-off apparently caused by warmer temperatures, according to the Boston Parks Department.

The fish were mostly perch that had just been placed in the pond in April as part of an annual state fish-stocking program, according to Parks Department spokesperson Ryan Woods.

“Our park rangers noticed. They pulled out about 400 perch,” said Woods.

The Parks Department called in experts from the state Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, who determined that the die-off was likely caused by a relatively common natural event. As water warms up, it cannot hold as much oxygen, which fish require to breathe. In a crowded pond–such as one just stocked with thousands of fish–that means there is not enough oxygen to go around, and many of the fish suffocate to death.

Such die-offs are fairly common around the state in the spring, and have been noticed this year in various locations, according to a state fact sheet. State officials assume that is what killed the Jamaica Pond fish.

“It’s not uncommon,” Woods said, though he added, “Four hundred is a little higher than we had in past years.”

If the die-off continues, state officials will return with a biologist and take a closer look, Woods added.

Residents who notice dead fish in bodies of water can notify the state’s “Fish Kill Coordinator.” His name is Richard Hartley, and residents can call him at 508-389-6330 or 508-479-4092. Be sure to have the location of the fish kill and the name and phone number of a person who directly saw the dead fish.
- See more at: http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2014/05/30/400-fish-die-in-jamaica-pond/#sthash.u60pt2oA.dpuf

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:27 pm

Man, I fished Massapoag Sunday and saw a few white dead perch floating.

Thanks for the post. I'll read a little more. I'm surprised they stock perch and not just trout.

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:03 pm

same at furnace pond pembroke

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:48 pm

Saw 5 or 6 dead fish and one fish gasping at the surface at rock pond. The bite was dead, one tiny bass in 4+ hours. Only thing I saw on my finder were fishing holding in the 12+ foot range and I have no clue how to target that range when they are being lethargic and in murky water. I would have tried drop shotting for the first time if it was clear water

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:12 pm

i've been noticing floaters at the places i've been to recently. what the heck's going on?

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:02 pm

A fish kill at JP is pretty unusual, and perch are supposed to be hardy little MFers.

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Yellow perch are technically cold water fish like trout. when hatchery fish are transported to the water to be stocked their swim bladders are acclimated to a depth of about 6 feet. If at the time of stocking the water is too warm in the top 6 feet then cold water fish like yellow perch will get heat stress and die.

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Personally I think the overly cold winter killed off a lot more vegetation than normal and with they warm temps the O2 levels are pretty awful. Could be a rough season

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:58 pm

there was a few dead fish at sampsons in carver at the boat launch like 20 or so

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Two weekends ago I was at horn pond and there was a dying fish caught up in a over hanging tree branches.

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Search youtube, its been happening all over. Great lakes etc.
Conspiracy theory time!

Posted Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:26 am

jfish

there was a few dead fish at sampsons in carver at the boat launch like 20 or so

This was recently?

Fish kills are no bueno

Posted Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:50 pm

lowellite

Search youtube, its been happening all over. Great lakes etc.
Conspiracy theory time!

Nah, this stuff happens. If you look at the weather over the last 12 months it has been pretty extreme, not just here but all over the US. We had extreme drought going into Dec last year followed by a harsh winter. The spring has been cold and we had only a few warm days so far. Lakes and especially deep ones will go through stratification throughout the year, which giving our current weather pattern may be bit harsher than normal. Most people call this turn over and think it only happens in the fall. Compare it to you suddenly be on top of a 15,000ft mountain, if you had a bad ticker your not going to make it.

Posted Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:18 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links