Tired of missing out on some good fishing cause I have no boat. However, living in and apt complex doesnt give me a lot of room to have one. Im thinking of getting an enflatable fishing raft. Reviews seem to be mixed on line. Anyone here know of a reliable one? It doesnt need to survive the rapids of the Rio Grande but i would really like to not have one stray cast from my brother put us in the water.

Thanks

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:01 pm

Personally, I'd try to stay away from an inflatable. That being said people use them and love them. I guess I'm just concerned that one mistake can ruin the investment.

I've seen Sevylor and Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks on sale (on slickdeals.net) like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Eagle-330-Inflatable-Kayak/10778987

I ran into someone with one of these folding boats. He loved it and said it was a great investment. : http://www.porta-bote.com/

A float tube would be another option.

Any room for a plastic Kayak? That might be a good compromise.

Good luck

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:20 pm

i was in the same situation as you and actually had the sea eagle. i caught some of my biggest bass in the thing. but while it was good for awhile, the novelty wore off.

the hassle of setting it up (not as simple as it seems), limited space, getting blown around in the wind, and worrying about any sort of punctures when it's hot out sucked. i actually did end up getting small holes and leaks in it eventually.

if you're hell bent on a boat, then do it. but you're better off getting a kayak in the time being if possible.

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Yeah, an inexpensive kayak would be more durable than an inflatable. Waders would even be a better option. Laughing

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:45 pm

Actually, there are inflatable kayaks that are very sturdy, are perfect for travelers, will readily standup up to hooks, sharp hooks, glass, etc and which can be setup, launched, accessorized, transported and stored just as easy or easier than hard shell yaks or boats. I have both for different needs. It all depends on your own wants and needs. Like anything, there are pro's and con's and maintenance actions you can take to mitigate problems. The better ones cost $1000 or more, made from rugged delrin PVC, are NOT the typical big box toys you find at wal-mart, dicks or basspro, and will serve you well. Don't just go to basspro and grab something of the shelf. Not even for a hard shell or big boat. Go to a place that specializes in small boats that will take the boats to a nearby pond or lake where you can try them out. Try several, compare, find what you are looking for before you buy.

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:14 am

Basspro sells a modular sit on top kayak. Its pretty affordable at under $400 bucks. I have never used one personally but it has good reviews.

http://www.basspro.com/Point-65-N-Tequila-Sit-On-Top-Modular-Kayak/product/12040705004860/

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:14 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links