Howdy, all.

I noticed they've started the trout stocking in the Northeast District.

Apparently, Horn Pond has not been stocked yet, but I'm hoping they will hit it this week.

So I'm planning on trying my luck at some trout this weekend and was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to maximize my catch chances.

I'm thinking of heading over to the causeway with some in-line spinners and some salmon eggs and PowerBait on a #6 hook with a small float about 12 - 18 inches from the hook and see what happens.

I am new to the site and new to freshwater fishing but have been doing a lot of reading on the subject and supposedly that is the way to go about catching trout at Horn.

What do you guys think? Is that the right rig for trout?

And as far as location, should I been looking elsewhere around Horn Pond?

Your replies are appreciated.

Dino.

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:36 am

I've never tired horn pond for trout but I have seen people catch them at silver lake in Wilmington off the beach and the pier they built. I caught a few rainbows last year in the shawsheen river to off of Whipple road in Tewksbury on a small black and green inline spinner. I went to Lake Cochituate and caught 2 nice ones Saturday morning. My best advise is get some chartreuse Powerbait put on an egg sinker with a barrel swivel and a 2 foot or so leader on a small hook. That's my go to every time I fish for stocked trout. I've tried other colors but the chartreuse always works for me. It lasts a while on the hook to so be patient. Good luck

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks for the tip, gsx.

Cochituate is a little too out of my way, but I might try Silver Lake and Shawsheen. I have a friend who lives near there.

Horn Pond is stocked twice a year (Spring &Fall). I just don't know where to look for the trout there.

I have Powerbait in the color you mentioned. It's supposed to float on the hook so I would use a sinker with that. Probably just a couple of split shots as opposed to an egg sinker since I don't use a leader. I tie straight to the main line (4# test mono).

With the salmon eggs, though, I would probably need a float to keep the bait off the bottom.

Any thoughts on that?

I will also be trying some spinners.

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm not to sure about the salmon eggs. You could try using a little of the power bait to float the eggs. My buddy uses it to float worms sometimes.

I have seen some people fishing from the parking lot at horn. There is a small boat launch, they probably stock the fish right around that area so that might be a good place to start. Its also pretty deep next to the damn, and there is a small point off of Arlington road before the bend (I think there's a flag pole). I see a lot of people fishing there.

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:38 pm

I have trout fished Horn a few times and did well. I go right around the flagpole area.

Stick this in google maps 42.467,-71.152055

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Salmon eggs and powerbait nuggets at the flagpole should land you a few!

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:28 pm

It's a little walk, but if go across from the pump house on the the 2 points is a productive spot. Also along the parking lot wall out about 25 yards out let your power bait float off the bottom by using a slip barrel sinker( make sure it's not lead, EPOs are always walking the pond to check license ) 2 ' - 3' . Good luck.

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:35 pm

They have started the North East and stocked Walden Pond today... 500 Brookies and 500 Rainbows. I tried to fish it BUT no go! Problem... they aren't opening the gate because they need to repair the road first. They couldn't give me an date of repair. Hit Whites Pond up the road and when I got there the State was out checking fishing license's. FYI

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:34 pm

I was on Horn last week and they did not stock it yet. But, I was talking with the guys that work at the pump house when I loading my boat they said that over the winter they had to break the ice so that they could put salmon in there.

Water temps were 42-44, only caught one 2 1/2 bass that day.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:50 am

Thank you all for the replies, fellas.

I'll keep an eye on the update from MA Wildlife this Friday. Hopefully, they'll stock Horn this week.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 pm

I'll be at horn tomorrow slinging for trout and bass. Foleybeach/flagpole/causeway/backwater/cove

Teamgethooked

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:03 pm

That's great.

I wish I could go today. Probably less people on a weekday.

What type of rig will you be using?

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:41 am

I'm always down there either on my boat or shore.

Early spring I go to vibrax small spinner for trout or use power nuggets or salmon eggs.

For bass lipless cranks, jerkbaits, chatter baits. If nothing hits I'll sling jigs.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links