Hey guys n gals, I've been fishing about 6 years steady, been on ma.ff for about 3, basically self taught so have allot to learn! don't post much on here but planon using ma.ff this year to become a better fisherman, anyway, I've been hitting a few areas on the south shore, Cohasset Pembroke Kingston, area, using 3/8 dark football jigs, buck tails and some hollow body swim baits? Slowly, over different habitats, figured i would at least get a few hits but nothing! Not even a nibble? Is it just to early? I mean I see guys posting pics of fish from farther north? I've done a little research, and I'm pretty sure I'm using the right baits, but could also be presentation? Speed? Also I'm on land, am i wasting my time rite now? Or would the Jon boat cure all that's ailing me rite now lol, thanks!!!

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:46 pm

Jon boat would def help! I have had some luck late winter/early spring using jerkbaits very slowly 30 second pauses. Also lipless crankbait slow yo-yo ing pattern. A boat would def increase your chances .

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:51 pm

It could just be that you're not around the fish and a boat would definitely help with that.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:05 pm

It's tough right now. Ice hasn't been out very long. Are you fishing deep ponds or shallow. You will have better odds on the shallow ones. I have been out quite a bit and have noticed that the fish haven't moved in close to the bank yet. Even on the shallow ponds the fish are still hanging out aways. A few more mild, sunny days and things will pick up significantly!

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:13 pm

If its any comfort I am in the EXACT same boat (or lack there-of) as you are man, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong, think we just need a warm up to make the shore stuff worth while

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:49 pm

this time of year can mess with you...it's hard to locate the fish and you second guess yourself since it can be slow. but it's not impossible and you need patience and to try different things like retrieve speeds. once you find them, stay put.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:52 pm

It's really a tough time. The fish are just schooled up suspended and not biting. I cruised around the pond today just looking at the finder and I only saw fish in a couple of spots in deeper water. The water temp was 45.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:19 pm

What pond?

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:09 am

His bath tub, the arc his finder was reading was false, was a rubber duck

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:52 am

Pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:44 pm

too bad. i was hoping to lurk and blow your spot up.

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:06 pm

you can blow

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:07 pm

I fished wed. and Thur. for about 2 1/2 hours. Wed. hit the Blackstone River and Thur. a small pond in Bellingham both on kayak. No bites, no nibbles, the water was high, cold and full of floating derby. Also lots of trash (beer cans!) people need to pick up after themselves. I agree with someone above that we need a few sunny warm days things will pop! We need the bugs to come out!

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 am

I fish in that area as well!
It's been tough! I've been picking off fish with black blue finesse jig with matching chigger craw!

Pitch it to shallow wood cover! Cast! Let it sit for a little then slowly twitch back!

Manage one small bass Thursday
And missed another! Caught a 4.10 last week

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:09 am

If you are stuck fishing from shore, a river may be a much better option. Find the deep pools, and work those. They will still be wintering but at least you will be throwing to where the fish are. Most trout stocked rivers are going to open up soon so you can rock that as a backup plan if the bass are not playing well. Use small presentations with heavy heads to get you down to the fish. Small grubs may work the best.

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:54 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links