Howdy, boys...and gals (i understand there are a few of them on here).

I've been rooting around on this site for a while, but have just recently joined.

Although I find there to be a great deal of knowledgeable people with useful information on here, I also find it to be a bit overwhelming for a newbie like myself.

I'm relatively new to fishing. I've done a little saltwater fishing from a boat in the past. But not enough to be considered an expert.
Heck, I wouldn't even call myself a novice. I'm probably a couple of steps below novice.

Anyway, I didn't learn much from my saltwater fishing "experience", except that I like fishing and wish I could do more of it. But due to scheduling conflicts my fishing outings on my dad's boat were limited to just a few trips. None in the last three or four years.

To remedy the situation and satisfy my desire to fish I decided to take up freshwater fishing. It's more convenient for me - I live within 5-10 minutes from Spot Pond and Horn Pond, and 15-20 minutes from Mystic Lakes, Walden Pond, Breakheart Reservation and Lake Quannapoit - and I don't have to work around anyone else's schedule but mine.

I understand freshwater fishing is more technical than saltwater so when it comes to freshwater fishing I am a level -10 novice, if there is such a thing. Hence me joining MFF.

My hope is that some of the knowledge you guys have will rub off on me over time. But for starters, I would greatly appreciate any tips as to which gear to buy (rod, reel, etc), which line and lures to use, fishing techniques and your experiences fishing the water bodies listed above.

Also, I plan on taking my 4-year-old on some of my trips (want to start him off early). So I'd appreciate any suggestions on ponds/lakes that are more kid-friendly.

Hopefully, you guys won't get too annoyed by all the questions I will be posting on here.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Thank you all very much in advance.

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:54 am

Welcome aboard. Ask any questions you might have and there are usually a bunch of guys willing to share what they know.

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:28 am

I think and hope that you will find this site extremely useful land that soon this site will be one. Of you're reliable sources for fishing info. The layout is pretty easy to understand, and all the people on this site are extremely helpful, and are filled with all sorts of fishing knowledge. Have fun and welcome again to the site!!

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:33 am

Thank you so much for the support, fellas.

Have you guys ever fished the ponds/lakes I mentioned on my original post?

If so, can you comment on the availability of fish and the best ways and best gear to fish said ponds/lakes?

I read somewhere that Spot Pond has some good size bass (5-10 pounders) and that Horn Pond is stocked with trout a few times a year.

Which reminds me, where can I find out about stocking schedules for MA? And what lures/bait should I use for these two species?

Thanks again, fellas.

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 pm

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/trout-stocking-schedule.html

Horn pond is decent bass and trout fishing. Lots of shore access.

Mystic lakes can be good bass fishing but very limited shore access.

Spot pond is also stocked with trout. It has smallmouth as well as largemouth. It is true the bass get big in there but they are very hard to catch. It is deep and very clear. You wont put up numbers at spot but you could catch a trophy.

If you are limited to shore fishing, Horn and Spot are the way to go.

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks, kman.

That's good stuff, brother.

I had no idea about the lead sinkers and jigs. Hopefully, the stuff I plan to order online is made of some other metal.

I've walked the paved trail at Horn Pond a few times. And I did notice that there is very good access points there.
I read somewhere that the Lago on (west of the causeway) can be more productive than the main pond.

As for Spot Pond, I read on an old post on here - from 2009, if I'm not mistaken - that Spot has some relatively productive areas. I was able to locate two of those areas on Google Maps but can't seem to find out where the third one is. Supposedly, there is a memorial (cross and wreath) for drowning victims nearby.

What would you recommend I use for lures/baits this time of year? I'm not looking for anything specific, just your thoughts on what type of bait/lure (crankbait, jig, worm, etc) works best for early in the season, as opposed to mid or late-season.

Thanks again, brother.

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:43 pm

I've walked the paved trail at Horn Pond a few times. And I did notice that there is very good access points there.
I read somewhere that the Lago on (west of the causeway) can be more productive than the main pond.

I dont know about that. I've seen no proof of that. I have fished it many many times. The main lake is better.

stick this in google maps search 42.463273,-71.100663
thats where the memorial wreath and cross is located at Spot pond.
As for lures, jig and pig, soft plastics, crank baits and swim baits all produce at spot ( and everywhere else for that matter) Spot takes forever to warm up and sucks until the water warms up. Best bet is Horn when everything melts. Good luck

[/quote]

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Once again, thanks a lot, kman.

I'll make sure to grab a few of each type of lure and head out to Horn Pond the first chance I get.

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:57 pm

You also want to make sure you have a valid license before heading out. Not sure if you mentioned it above already, but the Environmental Police are sticklers and rightfully so. Welcome aboard and happy fishing!

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks for the reminder, PF.

I'll make sure to find a place near me to go get a license.

By the way, do you know of any places in the Woburn area where I could get a license?

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 pm

sharkbait76

By the way, do you know of any places in the Woburn area where I could get a license?

You can do it online and just print it out. Just google Massachusetts fishing license

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:06 pm

sharkbait76

Follow these links, you'll get it done in short time.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfg-site-help.html

https://www.ma.wildlifelicense.com/IS/Customer/InternetCustomerSearch

Good luck!

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:15 pm

Thank you, fellas.

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:37 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links