Im looking for a new way to store all my hooks. At the beginning of the season I have them all nicely broken down in separate bins in a plano box by size or application. Inevitably after my first trip from throwing my bag around they are all mixed together.

Any unique ideas about keeping hooks? Best I could come up with for bigger hooks is string the eye of the hook on a safety pin, but that won't necessarily work for thin wire/drop shot hooks.

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:22 am

this won't work for bigger hooks but i got a bunch of those plastic weekly pill cases b/c i had a ton of extra flex spending money to use. i put all of my hooks and bullet weights in those.

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:36 am

I use a box that has a bigger compartment off to the side along with the regular compartments. I keep my hooks in the bigger compartment and my weights in the smaller compartments. I bought little zip lock bags and I store my weights in the bags according to size. I write on the bag in sharpie what style and size weight is in the bag. I then place then on the compartments according to size. It looks like this. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_Pro_Latch_Utility_Box_3780/descpage-PL3780.html I keep all my hooks in their original packaging and put elastics around them according to style. I.e EWG, Punch, drop shot, trailer ect. I trry to keep them in order from smallest to biggest within the elastic but I do have to reorganize after a couple trips since I do not always put them back in the right order while fishing. There is also this box. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Flambeau_6544HV_Total_Tackle_Management_System/descpage-FL6544HV.html but I have never tried it . There is also this http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Hook-It_Adjustable_Hook_Organizers_4pk/descpage-HIHOFP.html that would at least keep them together withing a compartment. I never used these either. TW has a whole "terminal tackle" storage section. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Terminal_Tackle_Storage/catpage-TSTTS.html

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 am

I just leave them all mixed together and use the first one that sticks into my finger

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:54 am

samf

this won't work for bigger hooks but i got a bunch of those plastic weekly pill cases b/c i had a ton of extra flex spending money to use. i put all of my hooks and bullet weights in those

Cool idea Sam! Leave it to the guys on this site to figure out a way to use their FSA accounts for fishing gear Razz

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 am

samf

this won't work for bigger hooks but i got a bunch of those plastic weekly pill cases b/c i had a ton of extra flex spending money to use. i put all of my hooks and bullet weights in those.

That is a really good idea!

I use a Plano 3700 series box. I haven't had an issue with them getting too tangled in there.

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:10 pm

leeann

samf

That is a really good idea!

I use a Plano 3700 series box. I haven't had an issue with them getting too tangled in there.

its not so much the tangling its them sliding out of the compartment and mixing with other styles and sizes

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:18 pm

This is what I'll be using this year.

My brother made me the red one and the little green one of these and then I made one more. The tupperware are sandwich containers from the dollar store and the foam board also from the dollar store. Cut it to size and add slits for hooks. The bigger green one I used a line grid template I made on my computer so that I could make as many slits as possible and keep them as straight as possible. I'll be making a few more once I find more of the foam board.

Not only does this keep hooks organized but it keeps them from clanging around and possibly dulling hook points.

You can use virtually any size or shape tupperware, then cut foam board accordingly. I like these sandwich ones as the cover has a gasket on it to make it somewhat waterproof when closed.

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:35 pm

towelie

This is what I'll be using this year.

My brother made me the red one and the little green one of these and then I made one more. The tupperware are sandwich containers from the dollar store and the foam board also from the dollar store. Cut it to size and add slits for hooks. The bigger green one I used a line grid template I made on my computer so that I could make as many slits as possible and keep them as straight as possible. I'll be making a few more once I find more of the foam board.

Not only does this keep hooks organized but it keeps them from clanging around and possibly dulling hook points.

You can use virtually any size or shape tupperware, then cut foam board accordingly. I like these sandwich ones as the cover has a gasket on it to make it somewhat waterproof when closed.

That is brilliant!

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:09 pm

Anyone tried a magnetic tool holder strip? Wondering if the hooks "attract" more fish after haha.

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:21 pm

i thought of the tupperware idea as well which is great but i'm not good at building things. i saw the oversized pill organizers and a light bulb went off. it will save room in my tackle bag as well.

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Bobby, another thing you can do to a standard plano box is put a bead of silicon on the bottom of the divider before putting it in place. If you can rough up the area where it is to go a little you get better adhesion. Now the hooks cannot slide from one compartment to the next.

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:31 am

Or Stratos can make you a hook bracelet in his weekly arts and crafts class

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 am

This may do the trick:

http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?PID=763

However, it is an odd size (bigger than a 3600, and smaller than a 3700).

- Patrick

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I had put down double sided tape in each compartment where the hooks could slide under but i dont think it is tight on top and they go over that way as well. Im going to give the safety pin a try see how that works before I start fabricating storage.

Eventually Ill move forward to keeping them in packages but will need a bigger compartment for that.

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:27 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links