I recently read this article about using braid backing:
http://www.wired2fish.com/why-to-spool-fishing-reels-with-braid-backing/

I back braid with mono, and I think I'm going to start using more backing to save money on braid and fluro.

Has anyone done this? It seems to make sense as Dacron braid is relatively inexpensive (for braid) and will last many seasons.

Just curious.

- Patrick

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:05 am

I saw the same thing. IMO when braid is tied directly to the spool it can "slip" and your line will start to spin on the spool as if your drag is loose. Unless they are putting a small amount of mono, then braid... im not sure I agree with this

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:33 am

stratos1966

I saw the same thing. IMO when braid is tied directly to the spool it can "slip" and your line will start to spin on the spool as if your drag is loose. Unless they are putting a small amount of mono, then braid... im not sure I agree with this

I always back braid with mono to prevent slipping. So Like you said one would have to put mono backing, braid backing, then working line (mono, braid or floro).

One of the reasons he does it is to get longer casts, because the spools spins faster. However, I use the brakes to slow down the spool, so I doubt that benefit would apply to me.

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:54 am

I also use mono backing on ALL my reels spooled up with braid!

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Braid slips big time. I actually called Shimano because I thought my drag was broken, they said to always attach braid with mono or fluro.

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Theres a video where Aron Marten explains why he uses braid as backing for longer distance but I agree with you all I would be worried about slippage

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:11 pm

I PUT DOUBLE SIDED TAPE AROUND BASE OF SPOOL AND HAVN'T
HAD ANY SLIP YET

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:07 pm

i always use mono or old fluoro backing when using braid. i only spool enough to cover the spool and have never had the slippage problems. you don't need a lot.

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links