Does anyone know if you can ice fish at Hopkinton State park in Hopkinton, Ma ?. Can you use an ATV on the ice?. Where is the best place to park for ice fishing Whitehall reservoir?. Never fished it before.

Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:24 am

You can absolutely ice fish at Hopkinton State but don't expect much in the way of action. It doesn't have too great of a bass or pickerel population because it's relatively weedless and deep. It does have a great trout population though. I'm not sure about driving an ATV on it but I don't think anyone would bother you.

Whitehall is a much better option for ice fishing considering that it has a great bass, pickerel, pan fish, and trout population. I've seen guys with ATV's out there before too. As far as parking goes there's a boat ramp off of 135/wood street.

Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:33 pm

No gas engines allowed at Hopkinton state park. That being said I've never seen a ranger give anyone grief about using a gas auger there. I wouldn't get caught out there on an ATV, but I have seen plenty of snowmobiles out there in the past. Just make sure your machine is registered properly because it is a state park and therefore it's a higher profile spot for the game wardens. As far as the fishing goes, it's geared more towards the cold water species such as trout and salmon. I would suspect the salmon fishing there to dwindle in the up coming years as the fish are no longer stocked. The trout fishing can be great one day but slow the next. I know of a 7 pound brown trout that was caught out of there about 15 years ago. Bass fishing is slow but there are some big ones in there. I've caught some decent bass in there throwing trout colored swimbaits as that's their main forage.

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:32 pm

Bass are hard to find but my two biggest bass in the last two years have come from there. There r some picks not many. Mostly a trout lake but I think that helps preserve some of the larger bass.doesn't get pressured for bass. I've heard of some huge ones caught through the ice. I caught my biggest bass in April after it was stocked. The big hogs come out to chow down on stocked trout. White hall better bet for bass though it gets a ton of pressure. Whitehall had pike at one time may have some stragglers left swear I lost one a few yrs ago. Also north pond hop milford line can have some decent days on the ice from what I hear.

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:35 pm

my biggest bass came out of Hopkinton res 8lber

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:04 pm

I caught one my largest also no official weight but other fisherman there said it may have went 7.5. She should be 8 or 9 by now. More small ones than big ones but the big ones r giants just very hit or miss. Tea stained water doesn't help. Other than submerged rock formations not much structure for bass and be careful easy to lose your lures.

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:01 pm

I caught one my largest also no official weight but other fisherman there said it may have went 7.5. She should be 8 or 9 by now. More small ones than big ones but the big ones r giants just very hit or miss. Tea stained water doesn't help. Other than submerged rock formations not much structure for bass and be careful easy to lose your lures.

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:02 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links