thoughts? it has been a dream for some time to go fish the amazon at some point in my life. ive been reading up on which company charters are the best along with affordable pricing and accute angling comes highly recomended. great knowledgable guides with good reputations as well as a trip tailored to what kind of fish you wish to catch. when i first thought about this a few years back i wanted to go for peacock bass and a few scattered toothy predator fish like payara and Trairao but over the past few years ive amassed quite the collection of saltwater gear that i use for river fishing and ive been thinking more and more about a catfish expedition. particularly the big boys like jau, redtails and the mighty "king of the catfish" the piraiba. the trip is not cheap but not that expensive either and i shouldnt have any issues saving more than enough for my goal of 3 years from now. anyone else ever thought about this type of thing?

http://www.acuteangling.com/TF/tpl/TripBaseballCards.cfm?speciesID=2

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Bug spray. Long sleeve shirts and pants - Loose fitting, fast drying and light colored. Bug spray. Mosquito's are attracted to darker colors and can bite thru tight. Bug spray. Jungle boots and light socks. Bu spray. Extra's for when, not if, they get wet. Bug spray. Plastic bags for the we stinky clothes. Bug spray. A wide brimmed hat for a fan and sun protection. Bug spray. Headband for sweat. Bu spray. Hair ties. Sun glasses. Bug spray. Rain gear. Backpack. Antibiotics. Clean water/filtration. Fishing gear. Oh yeah - bug spray!

Posted Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:31 am

I think you are going to need a Brazilian visa.

Here is the link to apply for the visa via the Boston Consulate:

Brazilian visa

You can't get a visa until you have a plane ticket or other type of travel documentation.

If you refrain from drinking beer while you are there, the mosquitos will not attack you as much. If you have to drink, then drink gin and tonic, with real quinine tonic water.

Oh you will need vaccinations for: yellow fever, Hepatitis A & B, Typhoid, Malaria and rabies. Since yellow fever is not a common vaccination in the United States they might charge you more for it, if it just for you, but if you have other friends who get it at the same time the cost will be less.

Get the vaccinations at least 3 months prior to travel. Consult with your doctor about timing.

September-November is spring time and December-February is summer. Spring time is the rainy season, with the occasional hurricane thrown in just for fun. The summer is very HOT and dry.

Posted Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Are you going to get a Brazilian bikini wax down there Hahahaha

Posted Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Its the best fishing trip you can book. I'll probably go back this year. I was planning to go to Tanzania but that looks like it is going to fall through.

I haven't been in two years and I miss it, you have no idea what a special place it is until you get there. What ever you what to know about the trip I can fill you in.

I wouldn't go there thinking about targeting catfish first. The guides are tuned into catching peacocks. Once you get a peacock on topwater you'll know why, they are like a pissed off smallmouth. Usually by the 3rd or 4th day you are beat up and its relaxing to go catfishing for the last couple hours of the day. I have never caught one in all times I've tried.

The boat from your link on the Rio Negro River is the Blackwater Explorer. Its a good operation. I met the women that runs the boat, she's cool. Ties a good jig, but there are nicer boats on the river. I would recommend using the Santana or the Captain Peacock if you wanted to go the yacht approach. River Plate has a fly in barge operation that gets you to some remote places. But they do tend to cancel a lot. They cancel if the river the barges are on loses too much water, it takes a week to move the barge to another river. They will tell you a few days in advance so there is a lot risk.

I was like you about a couple of years ago, wanting to go but didn't know where to look. I can put you in the right direction and recommend some good people to work with.

Here's a youtube video made from the Santana. Just dont book a trip through hooked on adventures, worst operator out there. You'll get screwed. The Santana has some of the best guides, the guy with the chainsaw is Enrico, he is the guy I usually ask for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQOOl1t3w30

BTW, if you click on my profile that is my largest peacock.

Posted Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:28 pm

Also there are no mosquitos. The water is tannic.

Posted Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:58 pm

thelucky

Its the best fishing trip you can book. I'll probably go back this year. I was planning to go to Tanzania but that looks like it is going to fall through.

I haven't been in two years and I miss it, you have no idea what a special place it is until you get there. What ever you what to know about the trip I can fill you in.

I wouldn't go there thinking about targeting catfish first. The guides are tuned into catching peacocks. Once you get a peacock on topwater you'll know why, they are like a pissed off smallmouth. Usually by the 3rd or 4th day you are beat up and its relaxing to go catfishing for the last couple hours of the day. I have never caught one in all times I've tried.

The boat from your link on the Rio Negro River is the Blackwater Explorer. Its a good operation. I met the women that runs the boat, she's cool. Ties a good jig, but there are nicer boats on the river. I would recommend using the Santana or the Captain Peacock if you wanted to go the yacht approach. River Plate has a fly in barge operation that gets you to some remote places. But they do tend to cancel a lot. They cancel if the river the barges are on loses too much water, it takes a week to move the barge to another river. They will tell you a few days in advance so there is a lot risk.

I was like you about a couple of years ago, wanting to go but didn't know where to look. I can put you in the right direction and recommend some good people to work with.

Here's a youtube video made from the Santana. Just dont book a trip through hooked on adventures, worst operator out there. You'll get screwed. The Santana has some of the best guides, the guy with the chainsaw is Enrico, he is the guy I usually ask for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQOOl1t3w30

BTW, if you click on my profile that is my largest peacock.

awsome you sound like a wealth of info on the subject! thanks i will be sure to contact you with any questions that arise. i would like to catch some peacocks but i figure if i want angry topwater i can always go froggin for pike. i really have an obsession with large freshwater fish and have for quite some time (yes it was a subject of interest before river monsters was on tv lol) and the opportunity to catch even one potentially 80+ lb predatory catfish would be worth a week of fishing to me. my money situation is always kind of uncertain so i may never get another chance to go back so i figured i wanted to go for the biggest fish i could find when i have the chance. and as for the tannic water ive also heard that there are no mosquitos on the amazon because of the acidity of the water but i was also told the biting flies are the main issue. true?

Posted Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:54 pm

oh and thats a friggin sweet peacock on your page , very nice fish! thanks for the heads up about hooked on adventure also. i basically watched a ton of amazon charter trips on youtube and the company names that came up the most were the ones i did most of the research on to see if there was good reason for them to have so many positive vids online and thats how i came up with the specific charter co as one of my top choices

Posted Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links