So my wife asked me what I want for Christmas.

What I want is a MH 7'-7'6" Casting rod for Jigs and Worms, and a reel to match.

But I don't know what one.

Bass Pro is going to have a screaming black Friday deal on their pro-qualifier comb, so I'm thinking maybe that if they have it in the configuration I want.

On the other hand I have two Shimano rods, a Sellus spinning rod and a Clarus Salmon and Steelhead rod, and I love them. So I'm thinking maybe one of those rods in the configuration I want, matched with a Shimano Caenan reel.

Originally, I was thinking a Abu Blackmax combo.

I'm a slop fisherman at best, so I don't want to break the bank. However, good gear tends to make fishing better.

Does anyone have any experience with the BPS proqualifier baitcasting rods and reels?

Can anyone recommend a quality rod and reel combo that I won't break the bank, in the $100 price range?

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:41 pm

The bps combo is good. I bought one last year and I didn't even need another jig rod. Gave it to my best bud cuz that's the kind of guy I am and he loves it.
7' is the sweet spot for me on a jig rod. I have a 6'6 and it's just a bit short feeling

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Pro qualifier reels are great for the money. Never tried any BPS rods.

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:55 pm

I have a 7' heavy Pro qualifier rod..... It's "ok" They claim it is rated for up to 2oz. but there is no way you can throw a 2oz. bait on it. The problem with BPS rods are that they are all Mod fast or fast at best. They do not make a "heavy extra fast".
If it is slop you like to fish I would spend a little more on a rod and get a rod specifically for the slop. Shimano makes one in the Crucial series called the frog and slop rod and it runs around $180

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for the input guys. As always you all are a very helpful bunch.

BTW by slop I meant I'm a sloppy fisherman, not that I'm looking for a rod to fish the slop.

I just want a stiffer rod for fishing jigs and worms.

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:22 pm

I think the ProQualifier with a 7ft Medium Heavy Carbonlite Rod would be the best combo for the money and desired use. This was my first decent baitcaster combo last year and I got the rod and reel for $150 (normally retail around $220). I bet you could get a better deal during the Black Friday sales.

If your willing to spend more on the reel, I would recommend the Revo SX ($160 is the price I paid but it's been a great all around reel and has 20lbs of drag power and only weighs 6.6 ounces)

Good luck!

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Second on the carbonlite.. The 7'6 heavy is probably a great choice for jigs, but i own the 7' Mh and does good

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:09 pm

I end up not buying to Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier Silver Baitcast Rod and Reel Combo that was on sale for Black Friday. I'm glad I didn't. The rod was not a Carbonlite, and the rod and reel seamed cheap.

I think I'll buy the rod and reel separately.

While it's not a Revo SX, BassPro has the previous generation Orra SX on sale today $30.00. As far as I can see the major difference between this one and the new ones is that this one used a centrifugal brake and the new ones us a magnetic break. I almost hit buy several times today.

My budget is limited, and have to justify every purchase with my wife, so I need to find good values.

Thank you to everyone for your advice.

- Patrick

Posted Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Buy quality. You get what you pay for. Cheap equipment does not last and it sucks to use.
Save your money and spend at least $100 on a rod reel combo.$200 would be twice as nice $300 would be $400 would ,...

Posted Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:16 pm

johnyak

Buy quality. You get what you pay for. Cheap equipment does not last and it sucks to use.
Save your money and spend at least $100 on a rod reel combo.$200 would be twice as nice $300 would be $400 would ,...

bingo. don't forget to factor the warranty in a given price.

Posted Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:06 pm

So my wife gave me a F&S Tech Spec/Shimano Caius combo for Christmas, that she bought at Dick's (my wife is pretty awesome.) And my family gave another $100.00 in Dick's gift certificates.

Since i had the gift certificates, I could afford a better reel.

Last night I returned the combo, and ordered a F&S Tech Spec Elite MHXF 6'10" Rod and a Lew's Speed Spool reel. They both got great reviews.

Hopefully, I have a good jig and worm combo now. I was tempted to get the Lew's Tournament MG, but I was already spending what to me was a lot of money.

I'm going to spool it up with some 17lb mono to work on my casting skills and switch to 15lb mono when the water opens up.

- Patrick

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:50 am

Lews are solid reels, I think you'll like it

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:10 pm

+1 on the Lews

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:02 pm

+2

might have a righty Tournament Pro Speed Spool cranking reel for sale soon haha

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Today I received the reel, and it was shipped directly from Lew's. It's the new model with the bent handle. Too cool.

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:14 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links