I work just off the Charles in Cambridge (near the River's Street Bridge). The ice has finally melted and I am getting the itch to go out at lunch and try my luck (Texas rig some senkos).

What I am wondering is it still too early to fish from the shore and aim to catch some bass ? Water too cold? Too shallow?

Thanks

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:47 am

if you're already in the area, why not? it's about time water's opening up. it will be cold and you might need to fish slowly, but it's better than not fishing.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:19 pm

ive been fishing slow! jerkbaits swimbaits and jigs havent had a nibble not even a pickerel!

a buddy is saying get some reaction bites! fish moving baits

headed out to carver today hopefully its melted with hungry fish

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:41 am

I work in Brighton and live in Somerville, so we likely frequent the same part of the Charles. Tried my luck Tuesday afternoon and got absolutely nothing, haha! Won't keep me from trying though, depending on how bad the rain is I may give it a shot this afternoon. I'll post later on how it goes.

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:53 am

apgrossi

I work just off the Charles in Cambridge (near the River's Street Bridge). The ice has finally melted and I am getting the itch to go out at lunch and try my luck (Texas rig some senkos).

What I am wondering is it still too early to fish from the shore and aim to catch some bass ? Water too cold? Too shallow?

Thanks

Nope, that spot is hit or miss this time of year. You have some warm discharge that buddles out and deep water close by so there are fish around there.

I do horrible at that spot in winter, only went once this year. But I know some guys that pull stripers form that spot this time of year. Plenty of hold overs in the winter.

I think I am working a half day tomorrow, so throw some quarters in some meters and hit a few holes.

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks Everyone.

Looks like next week will be real cold. The week after looks like there could be some 50's and 60's. I will throw my gear in my car and try it out during the nicer temps.

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:48 am

Put in the time, its not too cold. Except for the ice part. On my third cast today got a 4.5. That must have upset the River Gods because the winds changed instantly as I caught that fished. Really strong gust out there today. Blew EVERY piece of ice on the river right too me, like a magnet. Managed 2.75 few cast later but got locked out by moving ice shortly after.

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Look at the belly on that! Did you have a trailer on that jig? Nice start to the year!!

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:38 pm

jamesd

Look at the belly on that! Did you have a trailer on that jig? Nice start to the year!!

Yeah she had a belly. Boag Hog Jig with a Zoom Speed craw that I dyed the tips chartreuse.

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Great start for the season.I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:11 pm

If you watch the time lapse videos taken from the MIT launch it's crazy how much ice drifts by these days. Soon that'll be done though!

Were you down by the Harvard/Mass Ave bridge? I hit the pools and surrounding areas around the Esplanade over lunch sometimes. Usually venture down as far as the western most pool 'cause it's a long trek back to downtown.

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Saw a few guys in the lake across from the Mill Pond Diner in Wareham today, was that anyone here?

Looked like a green Crawdad or john boat, throwing bright chartreuse cranks for the 5 minutes I was there.

LOTS of open water all over the South Shore, made my last run for soft plastics and I think today I will stick my stuff in the car and try a few spots over the next few days with some heavy slow jigs.

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:36 pm

havent caught an open water bass yet! mainly because the spots ive hit are mostly ice with a little open water

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:54 pm

nice lucky. love that dirty water.

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Good stuff and nice 4.5!

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links