Looking for a little advice... I'm picking up my dad and nephew on Friday for a little 'guys weekend'. They both love fishing and I'd like to take them out to a decent spot where they can catch some bass. Shore fishing is a possibility, but I'm also picking up a 12' aluminum semi-v but since it won't be registered in time, we won't have a motor, so a smaller pond where rowing wouldn't be an issue would also be great.

I'm looking for someplace within 45 minutes or so of Easton. Some places I'm considering are:

Pudd's Pond, Easton (near Borderland). Don't know too much about it, but it looks like there's access from the north and it's pretty small so the boat should be an option. Didn't find this as a location here so not sure how good it is.

Buckmaster Pond, Westwood: Have fished there before, but only from the shore and it's been a couple of years. Parking lot and short walk to the water make the boat an option here, too.

Reservoir Pond, Canton: Haven't been here before and it looks like access from shore is a little dicey, especially with three of us. Looks a little big for rowing. Looks like you might be able to fish from shore from the SE, off of Pleasant st but that looks pretty close to peoples' back yard, too. Also saw some people fish from the east off of 138.

Am I overlooking any spots that might be decent given my limitations (either shore fishing or rowing the 12 footer)? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:00 am

i'm pretty sure there's a lot of shoreline access in the ponds in borderlands like leech pond. i've been there mountain biking and saw a lot of people shore fishing. i don't know if you're allowed to put a boat in though. i def. would not put in an unregistered boat at a place in that park .

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:22 am

Pud's Pond was good a few years ago, the last time I fished it. Don't park on the street, you will get a ticket Exclamation The pond next to it used to be loaded with bass too.

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:43 am

samf

i'm pretty sure there's a lot of shoreline access in the ponds in borderlands like leech pond. i've been there mountain biking and saw a lot of people shore fishing. i don't know if you're allowed to put a boat in though. i def. would not put in an unregistered boat at a place in that park .

I think it's shore fishing only at Leach pond... I know there's no easy access for a boat (I've done the 3 mile trek around the ponds there a couple of times but haven't fished it). If I do end up using the boat, I'll just be rowing so the fact that it's unregistered is a non-issue as long as it's a place where you can use a boat. I'm also considering Houghton's pond which I know is shore fishing only, too.

don51

Pud's Pond was good a few years ago, the last time I fished it. Don't park on the street, you will get a ticket Exclamation The pond next to it used to be loaded with bass too.

Thanks for the tip - I was definitely going to park on the road by that cemetery, but if that's out then there's really no place close by to park.

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Dont forget you have Old Pond , New Pond off Rt 106 and Wheaton Farm off Bay Rd. I grew up in that town and we fished there, granted that was quite a while ago. Good luck

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Wheaton farm can be awesome and its small enough to row around. Gate is off bay road. New pond is ok. Def good for a row boat. There is also a small pond in the easton industrial park that has some nice fish in it. Plenty of parking and small enough to row around. Ames long pond on the stoughton border has good fish also.

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Wheaton farm can be awesome and its small enough to row around. Gate is off bay road. New pond is ok. Def good for a row boat. There is also a small pond in the easton industrial park that has some nice fish in it. Plenty of parking and small enough to row around. Ames long pond on the stoughton border has good fish also.

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 pm

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:36 pm

lunkerman1261

Dont forget you have Old Pond , New Pond off Rt 106 and Wheaton Farm off Bay Rd. I grew up in that town and we fished there, granted that was quite a while ago. Good luck

twebber

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I appreciate it. Is New Pond actually worth checking out from a boat? That place is always crowded on the weekends from shore (along 106) and I figured that it had to be overfished and only popular because of the location and easy shore access.

I'm not familiar with Wheaton Farm, but I checked it out on Google maps. Is the public access/gate you mentioned on the north part of the lake (labeled Ward's Pond on Google maps)? It looks like there might be access there sort of across from Prospect st. I want to make sure I don't unexpectedly pull into someone's driveway.

Ames Long Pond looks good, but I might wait until I have a motor to check it out. Thanks again!

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:57 am

Wheaton farm is on the right side of the road coming from 5 corners. As soon as you pass prospect st on your left the gate into wheaton will be on your left. Its a small drag of the boat down to the water but if you can get through the river into the open pond it can be good fishing. I have not been out there in a yr or two.

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links