Hi Everyone,

In a month I am heading down to Cape Coral, Florida (Gulf side, between Tampa and Key Largo) and I'm thinking of doing some Bass fishing...Any suggestions? I might take a bass boat trip on Lake Okeechobee or Lake Istokpoga, but they are pretty expensive (~$300/person). Let me know if you've tried it yourself or have connections.

Thanks!

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:42 am

Hey Brian, the Big O is a blast. Definitely a must fish for any bass fisherman. There is nothing like that lake. A guided trip will cost you about $400 for the day. If you can find someone to split that with its not that bad. What the guide will probably recommend and so do I is that you spend some time shiner fishing. The wild shiners are expenses, about $20 a dozen, but its worth it. I find fishing with live bait boring as hell, but not there. It is non stop action with shiners with most fish being in the 2-6lb range with a chance of a 8-10lb.

You could flip the grass or go off shore and throw traps but I would get at least a dozen or two of shiners.

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:16 am

Hey Brian. I did a trip down to south Florida in 2004 and fished Okeechobee for a few days. It was literally the best bass fishing I've ever experienced. You really need to book the right guide and the guy I used is no longer around there, but a little homework pays off here. We slammed them all morning on Sammy's, then on to soft plastics and spinnerbaits... the topwater action was incredible. Make sure you hit Roland Martin's Marina for some eats! (good place to call for a guide, as well)

Best of luck!

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links