A couple of friends and I are planning to take our sons to fishing for a day or maybe half a day. The kids are incidentally all in the 7-9 year range. None of the father is experienced in fishing. So this will be more for father-son bonding than actual catching.

I think our objectives are (not particularly in this order): (1) minimize boat riding/travel time from Boston, (2) use rig that this age group can handle on their own, and (3) be able to catch (and release) as many as possible.

My son went on a kids' version of party boat sea fishing last summer (with Cap'n Fish at Cape Cod), and really liked it. The boat ride was only 20 minutes from the shore, and still the fish were in abundance. It was better than the regular party boat, from my family's perspective. If we can emulate that experience on a charter boat from Gloucestor or wherever, this may work too.

Alternatively, we are open to fly fishing or lake fishing as well. I've always wanted to try fly fishing and wonder if fly fishing meets the above criteria.

Can people share their ideas as to how to make this enjoyable?

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 9:10 am

Check out this boat. I've been out with captain Joe a bunch of times. He's a great guy. He's right in Winthrop and you'll be fishing in the harbor in 20 minutes.
http://www.bostonfishtales.com/abouttheboat23.html

If you talk to him, tell him Shawn White sent you.

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 10:28 am

I suggest that you get the book:

Kids gone fishin

It is a really great book that can teach the basics of fresh water fishing to young anglers and their parents. I feel this book can help focus your fishing plans.

Do you guys have rods, reels and tackle?

If not you might want to stop by Dick’s sporting goods to check out their selection. I don’t recommend that you get Spincast combos because the reels made in China are junk and will give you fits trying to get them back in working order while your child waits impatiently for you to fix it.

If you are looking ready to fish combos I would suggest the Shakespeare Catch More Fish Trout Spin Combo

As for fly fishing…I would suggest that you get some experience fishing with conventional rods reels and tackle first. Then if you find that you really love fishing then make the investment in getting fly fishing gear which is a lot more expensive than conventional fishing gear.

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 9:36 pm

thorn168

I suggest that you get the book:

Kids gone fishin

It is a really great book that can teach the basics of fresh water fishing to young anglers and their parents. I feel this book can help focus your fishing plans.

Do you guys have rods, reels and tackle?

If not you might want to stop by Dick’s sporting goods to check out their selection. I don’t recommend that you get Spincast combos because the reels made in China are junk and will give you fits trying to get them back in working order while your child waits impatiently for you to fix it.

If you are looking ready to fish combos I would suggest the Shakespeare Catch More Fish Trout Spin Combo

As for fly fishing…I would suggest that you get some experience fishing with conventional rods reels and tackle first. Then if you find that you really love fishing then make the investment in getting fly fishing gear which is a lot more expensive than conventional fishing gear.

None of us has any gear. We are all complete novices. Before picking up gears at a sports retailer, I'd like to experience what kind of fishing (saltwater, fresh water, fly, etc.) suits me and my son and take it from there.

Posted Wed May 22, 2013 9:11 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links