I was browsing the web and found a couple people talking about fishing for walleye on the merrimack river, anyone on here have any experiance with fishing for them on the river, any help would be appriciated. Thanks

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Prov1 there are absolutely walleyes on the merrimack depending on where you fish. I personally have not caught any wallys south of nashua nh on the M but all day on the run between nashua merrimack and bedford nh up to the amoskeag dam I've caught tons of them some of trophy size over 28". Find deep pools either before or after rapids and eddies. Deep diving cranks, 7-10" dark plastic worms like manns jelly worms or. powerworms, and they're favorite... A crawler harness w. Light beeds and blades and live crawler or minnow will all take them. Good luck.

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:22 am

You just made my day lol... I grew up fishing for walleye on lake erie using warm harness's in deep water I'm glad to hear I can.get into them on the merrimack. Can't wait to get up there now. Thanks for the tip

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:37 am

Also I would imagine you would start catching them in june?

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 am

no problem the M is one of my home waters in the manchester bedford nashua area. Smallmouth galore. I don't ever really target walleyes just bass but they will take my bassbaits. I've also got into carp fishing last year they too are in the merrimack of trophy size 15-30 lbs. They tend to be a tad bit more south than manchester bedford. Nashua down to lawrence GREAT carp fishing. Theyre ruthless around here ive caught carp on topwater baits, frogs, and in the dead of winter. I also saw your post about eating the fish, id be hesitant studies from the merrimack and surrounding tributaries measured highest mercury levels in 100 years. Enough to threaten a pregnant womans baby if she ate it. They have however put in a scrubber in bow nh on the M that will fix the problem not sure how long it takes.

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:48 am

I was just looking up if you could safely eat fish out of the merrimack. Seems kind of questionable I was hoping the merrimack up in nh would have been healthier then it is toward lowell but that doesn't seem the case. The whole reason for wanting walleye was to eat them lol

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:22 am

While fishing a tournament for the Lowell Fly Fishers, my partners son caught a 10+lb. walleye on the stretch of the Merrimac that runs through Tewksbury (outside Trull Brook Golf Course). I caught a small walleye, about 2lbs. on the Lowell stretch just outside Tyngs Island. Both were caught on grubs.[/b]

Posted Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Hey guys, I live in Wakefield MA. What is the closest public boat ramp to get on the M too me? I've never fished the river and would like to start checking it out this year. Thanks for the info in advance.

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 am

vguaetta

Hey guys, I live in Wakefield MA. What is the closest public boat ramp to get on the M too me? I've never fished the river and would like to start checking it out this year. Thanks for the info in advance.

TO access the Merrimack closest to you would be the section in Methuen off of RTE 110 Norm's White Horse it is a FEE to launch there. Also over in Lowell on RTE 113 Pawtucket Blvd there is a Public Launch.

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:13 am

I live in Lowell and have witnessed many walleyes being caught below the Pawtucket Dam, the big bend where Beaver Brook enters, the confluence of the Concord & Merrimack River and Duck Island (treatment plant).

Years and years ago someone caught a 7lb walleye at the mouth of Beaver Brook while floating a shiner. That fish won the state pin for that year and it was all over the local newspaper.

I have never caught a walleye yet but my buddy catches them regularly by accident while fishing for smallies. They usually hang out near the mouth of a tributary or any eddy and back waters. You gotta know the right conditions and time to target them.

Last edited by fishingeek on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:14 pm

A couple of years ago the wife and I stumbled across a couple of Walleyes under the Rte 93 bridge in Lawrence. Not sure that ramp is going to open this year though.
Also caught a mess of Walleyes at Barton's Cove on the Connecticut River but that was in the 90's.

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:58 pm

Never caught a walleye in the merrimack in 25 years of fishing it. I fish for smallouths mainly with deep drifts (15-20 feet water) over rock fields. Would love to tag a walleye once.

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:49 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links