I have some time Wednesday evening to get some fishing in. I've been thinking of trying Fellsmere Pond in Malden. I don't have any spools of braided line so I'm worried about too much growth. Spot pond is always good to fall back on. Has anyone been to either recently? How are the conditions?

Posted Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:48 am

spot pond is one frustrating place for me. I know there are some monsters in there but it is a very tough place to fish. The bass in this deep, clear lake seem to be well fed and weary not to mention the difficulty in fishing the deep rocky ledges and steep dropoffs. be prepared to lose any baits you use especially ones you fish on the bottom like jigs.

Fellsmere is an interesting place. I feared that a small 5 acre pond in an urban area such as malden that has precious few natural resources like this pond would be overfished and that this small ecosystem would not be capable of sustaining many bass in the 3lb plus range. For this reason i paid little attention to fellsmere other than a couple of quick try's on my way by last yr. Recently, however, bassmonkey (ma fishfinder member) started sending me some photos of bass he was catching there. He has been catching quite a few 4lb plus bass this yr there and one pic he sent me was of a 6lb bass. I decided to try it down there with him one morn arnd 7 and i ended up catching a 4 1/4 lb bass on a 5" ocho worm. I would say my early assumptions on this place were wrong. In actuality it appears growth rates and overall productivity for this pond run better than expected.

As far as conditions here is what i can tell you about fellsmere. it is a small pond...maybe 5 or 6 acres. According to an old timer i talked to there he said max depth is about 10-12 ft but i would say the average depth is half that in most places. There really isnt much vegetation except for the grass mats that float around the edges. Last yr at this time the grass mats made fishing very difficult but this yr the mats are at about 25% of what they were last yr so it shouldnt be much of a problem. Actually, we focused most of our time on the mats when i fished with bassmonkey. They can be nuisance for fouling your bait but you shouldnt need braid to pull through it. it isnt rooted in the water just floats around the edges.

If you plan to fish fellsmere you should try to talk to bassmonkey. He lives 5 mins down the street from the place and fishes there religiously. He probably knows the place as well as anyone and is really good about sharing the tactics he uses and any other tips he can give. one thing i know he has said to me several times is that he has had his most success catching the lunkers there during hrs where pedestrian traffic around the pond is minimal. He will fish there at midnite or 4 or 5 a.m. before all the people start walking around the pond all day. that place is a zoo with walkers, runners, kids, you name it. good luck.

Posted Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:00 pm

I fished Spot with bassmonkey once. He got a massive 6+ pound bass right up to his feet before it threw the hook.

Thanks for the great info, I'll try Fellsmere. Did you have any luck with specific lures?

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:22 am

bcodkind

I have some time Wednesday evening to get some fishing in. I've been thinking of trying Fellsmere Pond in Malden. I don't have any spools of braided line so I'm worried about too much growth. Spot pond is always good to fall back on. Has anyone been to either recently? How are the conditions?

Fellsmere has been awful this year. Not 1 bite and I have used everything in my tackle box. That used to be my favorite spot. I went everyday and always caught and released. Now there is a lady down there who brings like 5 kids with her and they keep the bass to bring home and eat (ewwww, that place is so polluted). So if you go, good luck.

As far as Spot Pond, I have never caught anything there. And have never hear anything good about it.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:31 am

ma_fisherman

spot pond is one frustrating place for me. I know there are some monsters in there but it is a very tough place to fish. The bass in this deep, clear lake seem to be well fed and weary not to mention the difficulty in fishing the deep rocky ledges and steep dropoffs. be prepared to lose any baits you use especially ones you fish on the bottom like jigs.

Fellsmere is an interesting place. I feared that a small 5 acre pond in an urban area such as malden that has precious few natural resources like this pond would be overfished and that this small ecosystem would not be capable of sustaining many bass in the 3lb plus range. For this reason i paid little attention to fellsmere other than a couple of quick try's on my way by last yr. Recently, however, bassmonkey (ma fishfinder member) started sending me some photos of bass he was catching there. He has been catching quite a few 4lb plus bass this yr there and one pic he sent me was of a 6lb bass. I decided to try it down there with him one morn arnd 7 and i ended up catching a 4 1/4 lb bass on a 5" ocho worm. I would say my early assumptions on this place were wrong. In actuality it appears growth rates and overall productivity for this pond run better than expected.

As far as conditions here is what i can tell you about fellsmere. it is a small pond...maybe 5 or 6 acres. According to an old timer i talked to there he said max depth is about 10-12 ft but i would say the average depth is half that in most places. There really isnt much vegetation except for the grass mats that float around the edges. Last yr at this time the grass mats made fishing very difficult but this yr the mats are at about 25% of what they were last yr so it shouldnt be much of a problem. Actually, we focused most of our time on the mats when i fished with bassmonkey. They can be nuisance for fouling your bait but you shouldnt need braid to pull through it. it isnt rooted in the water just floats around the edges.

If you plan to fish fellsmere you should try to talk to bassmonkey. He lives 5 mins down the street from the place and fishes there religiously. He probably knows the place as well as anyone and is really good about sharing the tactics he uses and any other tips he can give. one thing i know he has said to me several times is that he has had his most success catching the lunkers there during hrs where pedestrian traffic around the pond is minimal. He will fish there at midnite or 4 or 5 a.m. before all the people start walking around the pond all day. that place is a zoo with walkers, runners, kids, you name it. good luck.

From which spot do you fish? i go to the same spot everytime I am there and wonder if I have run into bassmonkey lol. I live about 5 minutes from there as well. Maybe I am just going at the wrong times? But as I said last year I was there religiously in MY spot and caught a bass every time. This year... NADA. Not even a bite Sad So I have tried a few new spots. I hit a new pond yesterday and the bass were jumping and I caught a few out of the lily pads. At one point I caught a little guy less than a pound and he jumped out of the water on my cast and hit the worm. Haha

Anyone try Waldens in Lynn/Saugus??

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:37 am

You'd know bassmonkey if you saw him. He's the guy with six rods!!! (at least!)

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 am

Well i am not down there at 4am haha so I probably havent seen him. Have you ever fished Wrights? I went there the other day, walked through the woods and found one tiny spot to fish in, I caught a pig, once I got him in (tons of weeds to pull him through) I got him on shore, bent down to grab his mouth and my phone to take a pic, and he was a flippity floppity guy and jumped right back into the water Sad

But I was hoping someone had another area to fish from there.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:50 am

If you guys want to mix it up, try breakheart in Saugus. it's got some decent sized bass in the main pond/lake and gets minimal pressure. Little bit of a walk from the parking lot, but great shore access.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 am

heron25

If you guys want to mix it up, try breakheart in Saugus. it's got some decent sized bass in the main pond/lake and gets minimal pressure. Little bit of a walk from the parking lot, but great shore access.

I had actually wondered about Breakheart. But never read anything about it. Thanks for the heads up! Smile Any specific area that is better than another?

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:50 am

I only fished it a couple of times before I moved, but the first trail takes you to the southern side and there are some large rocks you can fish off of. The north side is by the swimming area and there is a bridge type of thing that you can fish off of. There's usually a lot of kids there catching sunnies. I caught lmb's in the 2-3 lb round using plastics and topwater early in the morning.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:53 am

Both are great places to fish.

Like Ma_fisherman was saying, I've been witness to lots of big fish come out of Fellsmere recently from Bassmonkey, who is my older bro (I think his internet is down right now otherwise I am sure he would chime in on this conversation because Spot and Fellsmere are two of his favorite places to fish, and same with me).

Before my 5.25 lb largemouth on the Sudbury last week, I got my biggest bass ever at Fellsmere last fall (5 lbs even). And even with people taking fish home from there (ewww I would not eat fish from there either lol) there are still plenty of lunkers around. As far as I know bass populations adjust fine to things like that, and sometimes when medium, easily-catchable fish are taken from a pond, it leaves the lunkers to spawn more freely, thus bigger fish overall in the long run.

and about Spot Pond: I have had really good luck there lately catching Smallmouths. There are monster largemouths in there but they seem to be much more catchable earlier in the year during spring. Although I was there yesterday and caught a little largemouth in smallie territory that had the biggest belly I had ever seen (in relation to the overall size of the fish). I also got a nice size smallie too even though it was blazing hot out.

So yeah, Spots fun right now to target smallmouth and Fellsmore's great for the largemouth even this time of year when its so hot. But the earlier the better, before the foot traffic and before the harsh temperatures set in for the day. I know you said you are looking to fish in the evening, I'm sure if you find some shaded areas you still can do pretty well.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:06 am

towelie

Both are great places to fish.

Like Ma_fisherman was saying, I've been witness to lots of big fish come out of Fellsmere recently from Bassmonkey, who is my older bro (I think his internet is down right now otherwise I am sure he would chime in on this conversation because Spot and Fellsmere are two of his favorite places to fish, and same with me).

Before my 5.25 lb largemouth on the Sudbury last week, I got my biggest bass ever at Fellsmere last fall (5 lbs even). And even with people taking fish home from there (ewww I would not eat fish from there either lol) there are still plenty of lunkers around. As far as I know bass populations adjust fine to things like that, and sometimes when medium, easily-catchable fish are taken from a pond, it leaves the lunkers to spawn more freely, thus bigger fish overall in the long run.

and about Spot Pond: I have had really good luck there lately catching Smallmouths. There are monster largemouths in there but they seem to be much more catchable earlier in the year during spring. Although I was there yesterday and caught a little largemouth in smallie territory that had the biggest belly I had ever seen (in relation to the overall size of the fish). I also got a nice size smallie too even though it was blazing hot out.

So yeah, Spots fun right now to target smallmouth and Fellsmore's great for the largemouth even this time of year when its so hot. But the earlier the better, before the foot traffic and before the harsh temperatures set in for the day. I know you said you are looking to fish in the evening, I'm sure if you find some shaded areas you still can do pretty well.

That was probably the 5lber that snapped my line last year and was the one that got away lmao JK after it snapped my line, I didnt catch a fish for the rest of the season. I dont care how big my fish are, I am just excited to catch something lol. But that one bummed me out. I cried lol

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:23 am

I fish whenever. Lately its been around 6am since I am unable to sleep. I may head down there tomorrow morning around 5 and see what happens Smile

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:25 am

(( sorry for typos and run on sentences WAY to tired atm ))

Being from saugus and living here since i was 7 ( im 24 now )
I can tell you breakheart is the last place you would want to fish in saugus, not only is it a BAD body of water for the walk it takes to reach it. It is completely CLEAR water and the bass are scarce they are VERY picky on what they will even touch and if you even get a bass to do anything but nibble the tail of a soft bait i would be suprised. I always try to convince myself otherwise each season and same for my friends but its all the same story. Granted you can catch SOME but its actually VERY pressured idk why someone said it wasnt maybe you are there at odd hours.

People are constantly swimming there as well especially ppl jumping off the rocks and what not.

The other bodies of water in saugus your talking about are No-fishing allowed and they are REALLY tough about that, if you do fish it expect to be fined and possibly having your gear/tackle taken away for good. The last guy i warned went over to the RES and said i wont get caught. and had his new 150 $ Rod snapped in half over the a knee and ticketed for 250 $ and tackle box taken. THEY DONT PLAY AROUND.

IF you want to try new waters i will suggest 2 places in saugus that i use to have SUCH good success at but this season lucky if 1 bass a trip ( it might just be me )

Golden Hills in saugus near melrose/wakefield
THere are 3 bodies of water there
the first smaller one is home to pickrel and some lunkers but not many bass and only really 1-2 GOOD shore spots to fish.

The second big lake when you drive up more is PLENTLY of shore access the side you park on is the best place to fish from and plently of spotty Lilly pads. I took a 6 lb bass out of there last season. The 3rd is hidden a bit when you take the street up to the second lake u go left instead and its behind some brush/trees etc etc and hard to access shore fishing but there are some REALLY big bass in there if you can locate them same as first though alot of pickerel.

the SECOND spot would be
Prankers Pond in saugus center.
Near the football field you drive around the corner and follow it to a little dirt road where you drive in and park sometimes its chained so you park wherver and walk in its a 60 second walk to the pond only. Hardly anyone fishs here and when you SEE the pond you think GOLDEN SPOT TO FISH ! but like i said not much luck there this year surprisingly but it might be me.

If you need help finding each of these you can pm me, or we can meet up and fish it together. I know both of these bodies of water very well. Golden hills is a bit tricky to navigate.

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:06 pm

(( sorry for typos and run on sentences WAY to tired atm ))

Being from saugus and living here since i was 7 ( im 24 now )
I can tell you breakheart is the last place you would want to fish in saugus, not only is it a BAD body of water for the walk it takes to reach it. It is completely CLEAR water and the bass are scarce they are VERY picky on what they will even touch and if you even get a bass to do anything but nibble the tail of a soft bait i would be suprised. I always try to convince myself otherwise each season and same for my friends but its all the same story. Granted you can catch SOME but its actually VERY pressured idk why someone said it wasnt maybe you are there at odd hours.

People are constantly swimming there as well especially ppl jumping off the rocks and what not.

The other bodies of water in saugus your talking about are No-fishing allowed and they are REALLY tough about that, if you do fish it expect to be fined and possibly having your gear/tackle taken away for good. The last guy i warned went over to the RES and said i wont get caught. and had his new 150 $ Rod snapped in half over the a knee and ticketed for 250 $ and tackle box taken. THEY DONT PLAY AROUND.

IF you want to try new waters i will suggest 2 places in saugus that i use to have SUCH good success at but this season lucky if 1 bass a trip ( it might just be me )

Golden Hills in saugus near melrose/wakefield
THere are 3 bodies of water there
the first smaller one is home to pickrel and some lunkers but not many bass and only really 1-2 GOOD shore spots to fish.

The second big lake when you drive up more is PLENTLY of shore access the side you park on is the best place to fish from and plently of spotty Lilly pads. I took a 6 lb bass out of there last season. The 3rd is hidden a bit when you take the street up to the second lake u go left instead and its behind some brush/trees etc etc and hard to access shore fishing but there are some REALLY big bass in there if you can locate them same as first though alot of pickerel.

the SECOND spot would be
Prankers Pond in saugus center.
Near the football field you drive around the corner and follow it to a little dirt road where you drive in and park sometimes its chained so you park wherver and walk in its a 60 second walk to the pond only. Hardly anyone fishs here and when you SEE the pond you think GOLDEN SPOT TO FISH ! but like i said not much luck there this year surprisingly but it might be me.

If you need help finding each of these you can pm me, or we can meet up and fish it together. I know both of these bodies of water very well. Golden hills is a bit tricky to navigate.

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links