Hey guys i am new here i primarily use maanglers.com but most of the members there are western ma fishers who have it made with plently of amazing small ponds etc !

I figured i would try my luck here.

My dilema : My local spots have gone so dead over the years out of 3-4 trips your lucky to get 1-2 bass at all if not skunked completely.

I live in Saugus , Ma so i fish Golden Hills in saugus and Prankers Pond in saugus. I dabbled at putnam res / spot pond but never had much luck as im a shore fisherman.

I dont mind a little bit of a drive and im looking for any advice on largemouth fishing in this general area. I LOVE to bass fish and if i could just find one decent spot that i could catch bass as long as my technique is right i would love it.

I really hope some people here can give me som advice. i would appreciate it more than anytihng.

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm

hey kev....
shore fishing is hard in this area. Most of the accessible areas are over fished. That's why I gave up and bought a little bass boat a trolling more. NIGHT AND DAY!!!! Look at my profile pic!

All these little ponds up through boxford, and georgetown and beverly.......is where it's at. Fished alot of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lake in golden hills, just too weedy from shore. Sluice in lynn is a dump and although Flax in lynn has produced some big bass, not many places to fish from shore.

Bass Boat........ make a set of wheels to ratchet strap on and you can take it out by yourself......best!

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Wish it was that easy, im strapped atm for money. Incredibly strapped due to something that popped up. But i do intend to buy a nice ranger next year. But anytime you have some room let me know ! Haha.

Been fishing around here since i was 11 , now 23.
And even though prankers and golden hills use to produce its just garbage now. Tonight i fished 3 hours and besides the THOUSANDS of little nibbles u get from undersized bass, i only got 1 decent bass about a 1 1/2. That is considered an exciting time out for me around here.

Strange you mentioned Flax producing even tho minimal shore fishing. I pulled out a 3 1/2 lb last week from there was very suprised as i only fished there 3 time in total and only did it cause i was driving by. Sluice really is a dump its sad.

No shore fishing you can think of within a 30 min drive that is worth a trip ? IF you can think of any i would appreciate some info on the body of water to. Lures/Presentation you find to work. Thats of course if you would like to share that info.

Only small pond that i find worth it around here is the tiny little pond next to SPOT pond in stoneham theres a small lilly pad infested pond at the end of spot and if you throw on a zoom baby brush hog weedless or a senko you can pull out some decent 2-3 lb'ers 4 1/2 is my largest out of there.

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Kev I'm gonna let you in on one of my favorite spots ever to shore fish. Warning...you need to use heavy gear. 6-8# test isn't gonna cut it. You don't have to have crazy heavy gear. I use a 7 ft Berkley Lightning shock rod thats designed to be used with superline and I spool it with power pro 20# braided line. Don't worry so much about the rod as last summer I used a Quantum I got at Dick's for like 20 bucks. Caught a ton of pigs and wore a groove in the top eye. Anyway, theres a lot of pads. The place is called Bakers Meadow and its in Andover. There's access at the end of a cul de sac called Meadow View rd. When you get there you only see houses. In between the two at the end (kind of to the right) you'll see a wooden fence that creates a path between the houses. This is Avis reservation property. It's public access to the pond. Only about 1/3 of this place has shore access but it produces. Weedless topwaters like a frog kill here. Senkos kill here. I've caught my biggest fish here first thing in the AM and right after dark and mostly on top. I got a boat this year and have only been to Baker's 2-3 times. Haven't got skunked and have a 3.9 larry on a frog. Good luck

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:52 am

appreciate you taking the time to give me that info. Deffinately going to give it a try, Excited lmao. thx

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:48 am

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Meadow+View+Lane,+Andover,+MA&hl=en&ll=42.651242,-71.159542&spn=0.00374,0.006877&sll=42.650516,-71.16128&sspn=0.007481,0.013754&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=17

Can you gain access to this pond from Bakers Meadow Pond Trail??? It seems like from the map, you can get closer to the water with a vehicle this way... also, do you know if you could get a canoe into this place, or a kayak??? Thanks for the info... I live about 6 miles from here, it looks like it might be worth taking a trip up here...

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:39 pm

Martins Pond in N Reading has some pigs in there. I caught 2- 5+ lb bass in there on the same day. I was using a 4 inch stick bait. The island is the place to start.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:45 pm

bassin329

Martins Pond in N Reading has some pigs in there. I caught 2- 5+ lb bass in there on the same day. I was using a 4 inch stick bait. The island is the place to start.

I drove by there the other night and was thinking about trying it out. I've gone online and read about as much as I possibly can on the place. It's good to hear other members talking about it in a positive manner.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:42 pm

There's a trail that goes around the whole pond so there are a few access points. The one on Meadow View is the on I use. There are no boats allowed. I'd love to get my cartopper in there.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:49 pm

No boats allowed on Martin ? That sucks, I was planning a trip there.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:01 pm

My bad Kman. That was for mega...no boats on Bakers Meadow

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 pm

maybe you should have pm'ed me this location, since alot of ppl dont even need to reg here this spot might become blown up now Sad hehe

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:36 am

bassmasterkev

maybe you should have pm'ed me this location, since alot of ppl dont even need to reg here this spot might become blown up now Sad hehe

I wouldn't worry about that. Most have their own favorite places they frequent. While its good to find different places to fish, people tend to stay where they know best. Investigating new places from time to time is fun as well and in looking at a map of Massachusetts, there are thousands of lakes and ponds throughout.

As for me talking about it, I just happened to buy a fishfinder 4 days ago from a guy whos backyard (has his own town registered dock) IS Martin's Pond. That's why I was driving by it. When I saw it mentioned, figured I'd chime in. On that note, I like to read and talk about the Quabbin Resevoir and have for many, many years, but have never been there. Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all good and friendly in here and this response is in no means negative in any way, shape or form brother. Cool

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:28 pm

LOL the funny thing here is we are talking about two different ponds here. Pocketfisherman is right, most people already have their faves. I don't go there that much since I got a boat so I gave you my spot. Go check it out. It's a fun place. The day it was 100 I went up there and caught a bunch of fish

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:55 pm

been by that pond a millions times and always wondered how it produces. Where is the best place to launch from/park?

Posted Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links