Was at Horn Pond last night. My brother caught a carp and 4 white perch using nightcrawlers, I caught a black crappie on a spinner bait. This guy next to us caught 3 largemouth bass. I was told that there is catfish in the water also.

I am trying to figure out what to use as bait. I was thinking about getting some frozen shrimp, letting them thaw and then try my luck.

What type of hook should I use? Circle hook, weight the line and just let it sit on the bottom?

Any advice will help so that the next time I go I can hopefully have my 7 year old son catch one too (thanks to River Monsters)

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:24 pm

They are in there for sure, tons of them. I watched a show years ago, and they were using dry dogfood as catfish bait. Chum up the area you want to fish and I bet you will do well. Dead shiners also work well. Good Luck !

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:45 pm

By catfish do you mean the Bullhead/Hornpout or another species?

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:24 am

hot dogs. The cheapest hot dogs you can buy. Use a circle hook and an egg sinker behind a swivel. This time of year the action is fast for them. I fish the merrimack for cats and sometimes the hot dog just barely hits the bottom before a cat grabs it.

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:37 am

strawberries mixed with bread - they looove strawberries

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 am

Anyone ever use chicken livers?

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:18 am

I have. They are a pain in the neck to keep on the hook. They didn't work any better than hot dogs.

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links