Can anyone recommend decent spots for shore fishing on the north shore? I'll probably be taking my kids with me (ages 7 & 5). I tried chebacco for the 1st time last night - ended up in a camp ground (camp menorah?). Probably shouldn't have been there. Couldn't find a good publicly accessible shore location.

Also, tips on what to use for bait would be appreciated. I haven't fished freshwater in many many years.

Thanks

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Fernwood Lake in Gloucester might be worth a try, only fished there once, but it seemed to have some decent openings to make casts. It's off 133 and you have to park somewhere near the plastic factory, the pond is behind it.

I saw a guy fishing with his kids at Putnamville Reservoir in Danvers, they were catching a bunch of sunfish on worms/bobbers. He said there were also bass there. The parking and access are pretty good, I think its off Rt. 35.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:49 pm

I second Putnamville Reservoir. Fish along the breakwall on the eastern side. Lots of rockbass and LMB's. There are also a couple of coves on the southern side that offer panfishing. Quanapowitt is good for perch and bass in Wakefield. I've fished Breakheart Reservation in Saugus right off of route 1 and decent bass and tons of sunnies in there for the kids. Very kid friendly.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks guys, I'll give Putnamville a try and maybe some of the others. I'm mainly an ocean fishing guy but lakes are easier on days when I don't want to get out on the boat.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Putnamville in Danvers. They have a good population of smallmouth there. Really fun for the kids (or anyone) to catch, as they are strong fighters and jump alot.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:16 pm

checking out the google map of putnamville, where do you access by foot? Looks like a long walk from a factory on Rt 1. The rest of the lake looks either residential or wooded without easy access.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:17 pm

No its easy. Take 35 from Danvers square. It will be on your left about 1.5 miles from the square. You will see a gate on your left then about 50 feet after that you can park right on the right. Cross the street and it is a one minute walk to the lake.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:26 pm

thanks - I'll definitely check it out

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:27 pm

i did not know that bassmonkey. lived near their 4 ten yrs fished it alot never really caught anything big and never a smallie. thats good to know gonna try it out again. thanks

Posted Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:41 pm

I never new it either and i lived for 25 yrs. I new it was there didnt know there were smallmouth though.

Posted Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:59 pm

just started fishing there this year. Thought it was illegal to fish there. You can fish from the wall but best fishing is from a boat.

There are a TON of smallmouth in there and some big ones too!!! Big Largemouth and Pickerel too.

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:14 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links