John fish the drop off at the end of the shoales at Spindle point with a carolina green pumpkin lizzard. dip the tail in a little bit of chaartruse dye. Search around for the grassy area. Also fish the rocks at the shoales of Stonedam island with a smoke colored grub with an 1/8 oz ball-head jig. Be careful in that area though, lots of potatoes in the water. I lost a lower end in there about 6 years ago, and even with no motor, I won our club tournment on my trolling motor there.

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:25 pm

I can also give you a hint that works almos anywhere on that lake, and it's gonna hold true in many areas. Find a shoal, or rocky area that is in between 6 and 12 feet of wter. Usually just outside those depths where the dropoffs go into at least 18 to 30 ft of water, there will be some grass in that area. Your best bait of choice will be a carolina lizzard. Green pumpkin, watermellon green with anycolor flake and pumpkin colors have always produed. Crush your barb down as the smallies usualluy engulfe these baits and tend to get gut hooked. You will not lose too many fish because once you set the hook the fight keeps them on, dont get me wrong, you will lose some but it's better than killing fish. You will be able to feel the bite, it will either feel like a pump or heavy weight. Set the hook by sweeping your rod sideways, not lifting it up. you will get a better hookup ratio that way.....good luck

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks again Bob, I truely appreciate your detailed recommendations. Thank you to everyone I have received some great advise and knowledge from MAFF members and I'm truely gratefull...

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:39 pm

I know this an old thread, but I'm heading to Winni tomorrow. Launching out of Wolfeboro...anyone know anything about that area of the lake? I've already read some good stuff on this thread to get my feet wet, and I know it's a little last minute, but I've never fished there before

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:09 am

Ted, do you have to launch in Wolfboro? For me the left side of Winni is 2x the fishery as the right side. I always end up in Center harbor, Laconia, Gilford and Molutonboro. There is a free ramp in Lees Mills in Moultenboro. Do you have the bass bets books? There are 2 bass bets done on the wolfboro end of the lake. Those tips still hold true today.
There are LM right in the cove you launch in. once you go under that bridge and out out into the main lake, mooored boats can hold smallies early in the am or on cloudy days. Top waters or senkos tosses in and around them produce. As the day gets longer and brighter fish deeper. Locate drop off markers the red and white and black and white ones. Fish outside them with a carolina rig a tube or spider jig.

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:28 am

Hey Rich, Thanks for the tips...I think the only reason we're fishing that side is because my buddy was up there a few weeks ago and did alright on the smallies...neither of us have much experience on the lake.

Maybe I can convince him otherwise...

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Look for a thin spiny weed called sandgrass. It grows in 15-30' of water. Fish the mouths of all the major coves in that section in that 15-30' zone. If you find that grass, bass are usually in and around it.

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Sorry for not posting after my vacation last year, I had a blast!!! Caught most of my smallies in 10' to 20' using tubes, grubs, and drop shotting senko's. The colors I had success with tubes black w/ red flake and green, grubs smoke and dark colors, Senko's I used every color from black to white (including pink). I also had success fishing top water in early morning and late afternoon.

I'm going back the end of this week and I hope to have as much if not more success. I'm excited to get back and have another go at the smallies.

The information I received from MAFF members was spot on, it was productive and helped me prepair for a well needed and very fun vacation.

Thanks again for all the detailed and productive advise given from MAFF members, I appreciate it more than you know...

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:45 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links